Gibson Brands Forums

Best Guitar Pick

ajay

I have finally found the perfect guitar pick. I have always had troubl with picks spinning as I'm playing. Thin, Thick, Medium. Thn, I got a pick made out of Woolly Mammoth Ivory, and it's perfect. Something about he Ivory sticks to Your finger or thumb. After You play for little bit, you can move Your thumb away, and the pick will stick to ZYour index finger. Yo can hold Your finger out, point th pick towards the floor, and it jut hangs there. I think it has to do with th Schreger Lines, which are growth lines Tusk Ivory that crisscross. They're kind of like the growth rings on tree, only they intersect. They're expensive, but worth every penny. I can finally keep my pick positioned through the entire song. Am I the only one that has the problem? I guess it isn't a problem anymore.

Am I the only one that has the problem?

Probably not.........but everyone has their own solution to said problem. The best guitar pick for you is not the best guitar pick for me. Glad you found your solution, but everything "guitar" is highly subjective.

I just tried Dunlop gator grip pics, really do make it easy to hold them, but they're hard and I felt made too much of a clicking noise when strumming. I feel my rule of thumb on pics are they need to come in a 12 pack for less than $50... less than $15 is better.

I would hate that. I constantly make adjustments to my pick, NEVER holding it in the same position for very long as I adjust attacks for different strings, notes, fills, etc.

One reason my Blue Chip sat in a drawer for YEARS. Nearly a decade. I couldn't get used to the "sticky" feel. Now that I'm using it quite a bit, (back and forth with the Wegen Bluegrass) I can move it around without much effort but having glue, snot or anything else sticky on a pick would drive me nuts.

I would hate that. I constantly make adjustments to my pick, NEVER holding it in the same position for very long as I adjust attacks for different strings, notes, fills, etc.

One reason my Blue Chip sat in a drawer for YEARS. Nearly a decade. I couldn't get used to the "sticky" feel. Now that I'm using it quite a bit, (back and forth with the Wegen Bluegrass) I can move it around without much effort but having glue, snot or anything else sticky on a pick would drive me nuts.

That’s the way I play too

Sure , I’ve dropped a few , but it’s my technique that’s lacking and makes me drop it. It’s not the picks fault

For whatever reason, I never figured out how to use flatpicks so I just play with my fingers. I have been trying to get the hang of thumbpicks though. What I found I have to do is to cut the tips down to get my thumb closer to the strings.

Yeah been there with that one

Having used my humble and fingers to learn finger picking I find thumb picks to be clumsy

My fault I know and it’ll just mean practice with them , but out of all the ones I’ve tried these ones are the easiest to get along with zomby , and trim if ya want

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F171108618806

herco vintage 66 are my favourite pick. I used to use herco gold flex 50, i'd read somewhere thats what neil young used ! i'm a big neil fan - used to think Martins were for me! but now play gibson almost exclusively since getting a 64 country and western ! i find the herco vintage really suit the way i play and i enjoy the tone more.

herco vintage 66 are my favourite pick. I used to use herco gold flex 50, i'd read somewhere thats what neil young used ! i'm a big neil fan - used to think Martins were for me! but now play gibson almost exclusively since getting a 64 country and western ! i find the herco vintage really suit the way i play and i enjoy the tone more.

I have a few of those gold hercos because old neil apparently uses them

It’s like playing with a piece of paper

I have a few of those gold hercos because old neil apparently uses them

It’s like playing with a piece of paper

lol! i like them, whether its psychological or not i don't know! the vintage ones are thicker and dull the tone (in a good way) at least for me anyway! i seem to have settled on john pearse bronze 80/20s and the herco vintage picks - at least for the time being !

For whatever reason, I never figured out how to use flatpicks so I just play with my fingers. I have been trying to get the hang of thumbpicks though. What I found I have to do is to cut the tips down to get my thumb closer to the strings.

Learned to fingerpick with bare fingers as a kid, can't buy a thumbpick large enough for my sasquatch thumb, but 'discovered' flatpicking (and a kind of natural affinity for it) in early teens. Interesting how we evolve as players and where the path leads us.

I have to use a thumb pick for ragtime/Travis picking type stuff if palm muting to get that vamping sound. I just can’t seem to get it right with just my thumb and get any volume. Thumb pick took a while to get used to but it’s second nature now and gives good volume from the bass strings.

When I was 8 my first guitar teacher handed me a Fender Heavy pick. I assumed it was the only type of pick in the world and everybody used it. I switched to fingerstyle many years ago and just use bare fingers. I've tried thumbpicks and finger picks a couple of times and after 10 minutes of not once hitting the correct string I throw them back in the case and don't look at them for another year. On the rare occasion when I feel like flatpicking, I admit I have matured. Now I can play equally well with Fender, Martin or Gibson Heavies.

I have finally found the perfect guitar pick. I have always had troubl with picks spinning as I'm playing. Thin, Thick, Medium. Thn, I got a pick made out of Woolly Mammoth Ivory, and it's perfect. Something about he Ivory sticks to Your finger or thumb. After You play for little bit, you can move Your thumb away, and the pick will stick to ZYour index finger. Yo can hold Your finger out, point th pick towards the floor, and it jut hangs there. I think it has to do with th Schreger Lines, which are growth lines Tusk Ivory that crisscross. They're kind of like the growth rings on tree, only they intersect. They're expensive, but worth every penny. I can finally keep my pick positioned through the entire song. Am I the only one that has the problem? I guess it isn't a problem anymore.

Would you mind sharing the link where you bought your pick? I'd like to try one out! Thanks.

1534370952[/url]' post='1950347']

Would you mind sharing the link where you bought your pick? I'd like to try one out! Thanks.iii

The picks that I bought are called Tusk Buffer. The website is TuskBuffer.net. I have found a place on Facebook called " House of Mammoth " I bought two picks from Tusk Buffer, so I decided to make my own, Scot sold me 11 pieces of Mammoth Ivory large enough to make any size or shape I want for $98. So now I can make my own for less than $10 each. I should get my Ivory Saturday. I'll post my results. I obviously didn't mean that they were th pick for everyone. I probably hae trouble with picks because I played only fingerstyle for years. I have found recently that some songs just sound like they should when played with a pick. Of course, if You're Lindsay Buckingham You can get any sound that You want with bare fingers. Picks can be cool on some songs.

I mainly use the pick obn stuff like CSN&Y and really on Some Neil Young songs. Anyhow, I'll post my first homemade Mammoth pick.

I made my first pich this morning. I got my Mammoth Ivory pices two hours ago. This material is very hard, which is the reason people say that they get more volume with these picks. You don't know how hard it is until You work it. The picks that I bought have such a soft feel, it's hard to tell what it's like to work with it. I returned the two that I bought this morning. I can't see buying picks for $40 each whn I can make them for $10. Here is my first effort. It took me 87 minutes with a sharp knife and a 400 grit sandpaper block. You be the judge if they're worth $10 each. Th lines that You see are growth lines, which I think is what makes them stick to your fingers.For some reason my files are too large. I'm working on an image

• 2 weeks later...

Archived