Gibson Brands Forums

To all those who think music has went to hell

blindboygrunt

Yes, Stu, there is lots and lots and lots of really good music being done these days and no one disputes that. However, as the video I posted in the other thread on this subject, it s the quality, originality and creativity of music fed via mass media that is in question.......the corporate control of the machinery of mass distribution.

This guy in your video seems real enough, but look at the numbers: 1.7 million views in a year......a year. Beiber, Gaga, etc. turn numbers like that in a period of weeks, if not days. This kind of music does not get to the masses, regardless of its' quality, because those that decide such things would rather have the dollars than creative satisfaction. But then again, maybe I'm full of s-hit.

Yes, Stu, there is lots and lots and lots of really good music being done these days and no one disputes that. However, as the video I posted in the other thread on this subject, it s the quality, originality and creativity of music fed via mass media that is in question.......the corporate control of the machinery of mass distribution.

This guy in your video seems real enough, but look at the numbers: 1.7 million views in a year......a year. Beiber, Gaga, etc. turn numbers like that in a period of weeks, if not days. This kind of music does not get to the masses, regardless of its' quality, because those that decide such things would rather have the dollars than creative satisfaction. But then again, maybe I'm full of s-hit.

I just watched this guys video last week. His voice is not what I was expecting out of him. As far as the views I would take his views in a year over Beiber or Gaga in a heartbeat.

Over here we have a related discussion this summer. It's about people talking and talking and talking at concerts.

Not only at festivals, but also at bigger venues where they paid'n'came to see (hear ?) a specific act.

I experienced it the first time in the early half of the 0's during a McCartney-show.

While all the songs came rollin', the guy right behind blapped like a tilting sack of potatoes, , , in fact more than you would in a bar.

But now it apparently seems to be an issue - primarily among the older part of audience, who declare discontent with the tendency.

Wonder if it has to do with a general change in music-culture.

The vanished album, songs bein' beeped in and forgotten like hot-dogs, consumer mania, superficial trends etc.

Don't know - I'm further, reside on a later stage and have lost contact.

Does it ring a bell !?! Is a bigger part of the audiences now there for the social event more than the actual music. Has the music lost status.

Cannot count it out - after all we were close to obsessed with our LP's, songs, bands and stars back then. To attend them live was a pinnacle.

I sense that passion could have calmed down.

Would have written this in the other thread, but the posts above made me fire here.

Did he mention Cash as an influence? Highwaymen? That song sounded real to my ears. Shame on the corporate control (as mentioned) for I'm sure we are missing a lot of such quality stuff today more than ever. *Appreciate the heads up, bbg.

Naw. I hear ya buc

But we keep hearing that music is screwed we may start to believe it

Great!

Very deep voice overdubbed? Cowboy hat and old strings, perhaps that bass string is older than I?

But I know not one single person living that would be quiet after drinking through all that BEER! 'Hooray, Giff's Ussess Sum Nore Tuneths, Ma-a-a-a-a-te!!! (etc)....

BluesKing777.

rich voice. very textured.

listened to a few tunes though.... they all sound the same.

until i dig deeper, my first pass is a neat parlor trick....

agreed on that there is a good music out there if you find the right rabbit holes... I only recently discovered ruthie foster and was floored.

All I need to do is listen to Lucinda Wlliams to know everything is OK with the music universe.

I do like the guy's voice as I am a sucker for the Ramblin' Jack Elliot/Graham Parker school of gravely vocals. But I just could not get past the product placement.

All I need to do is listen to Lucinda Wlliams to know everything is OK with the music universe.

I do like the guy's voice as I am a sucker for the Ramblin' Jack Elliot/Graham Parker school of gravely vocals. But I just could not get past the product placement.

Double shout out for Lucinda Williams! Joy was the first song I ever tried to learn.

While I can't stand RAP, especially "cowboy RAP," along with Hip Hop and any of its branches, I think all this good-music-bad-music is largely a generational thing. I know there are some phenomenal musicians and songwriters today. It's just that the most of them are not writing/playing music that appeals to me. Prince was a fabulous musician and wrote songs that sold millions, but he just didn't connect with me. Had nothing to do with his talent. The music that does appeal to me is "rarely, if ever" on mainstream radio. You primarily find it on satellite radio, maybe once-in-a-while on some obscure FM station. Lucinda Williams, Prine, Greg Brown, and countless other folk/alternative/country artists are awesome, but except for people like us, the vast majority of people don't ever hear them.

While I can't stand RAP, especially "cowboy RAP," along with Hip Hop and any of its branches, I think all this good-music-bad-music is largely a generational thing. I know there are some phenomenal musicians and songwriters today. It's just that the most of them are not writing/playing music that appeals to me. Prince was a fabulous musician and wrote songs that sold millions, but he just didn't connect with me. Had nothing to do with his talent. The music that does appeal to me is "rarely, if ever" on mainstream radio. You primarily find it on satellite radio, maybe once-in-a-while on some obscure FM station. Lucinda Williams, Prine, Greg Brown, and countless other folk/alternative/country artists are awesome, but except for people like us, the vast majority of people don't ever hear them.

Bingo.

However, these guys seem to be doing okay.

Archived