Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar + Orange Bass amp

jared.our.lord

Has anyone tried putting a LP or other guitar through an Orange bass combo amp? I switch between guitar and bass sometimes when playing with friends, and I don't want to haul two amps. I've been eyeing the crush 50, since I love the sound of the Orange guitar amps.

If that one is no good, does anyone have a recommendation for a smallish combo that sounds good for both guitar and bass?

You can get away with that, but one sound will have to make you very unhappy while the other makes you ok, depends on which amp you use. For your happiness and the success of rehearsing and stuff, I wouldn't recommend it, I'd suggest getting a small amp of each so you can use whichever you need.

rct

I agree completely with RCT. But .... it you are really set on just having the Bass amp, which can be very dry sounding for guitar. I would suggest trying it with a guitar multi effects pedal, something with at least reverb, delay, chorus and overdrives.. If you can, try it before you buy it....

Maybe I'm blonde, but what's the guy on bass using when you're on guitar, and why won't he let you use his amp when you switch to bass?

I disagree with rct...we had an old Peavey Renown when we were rehearsing in the van which we used for both guitar and bass and it made you unhappy either way.

I would say the need a small combo to handle this is in order. No experience with the Crush amps from orange

For the amps that have built in effects, with a lot of different sounds on board, and controllable via a floor pedals check out the Marshall Code series, or if you can find one, look for used Mustang III (Not the Mustang GT, I have no experience with these)

These are modeling amps, if you are not familiar and have lots and lots of on board sounds and effects on hand. The remote control with a foot pedal really does add quite a bit of functionality as well.

it'd be good to see how they compare to the Orange.

Maybe I'm blonde, but what's the guy on bass using when you're on guitar, and why won't he let you use his amp when you switch to bass?

I disagree with rct...we had an old Peavey Renown when we were rehearsing in the van which we used for both guitar and bass and it made you unhappy either way.

I guffawed mightily.

rct

It's like 8 people, odd variety of acoustic instruments like fiddle and squeezebox. The only other person who uses electric instruments is using one of these for both guitar and bass:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/aga70.html

I don't think it sounds good for either.

I would say the need a small combo to handle this is in order. No experience with the Crush amps from orange

For the amps that have built in effects, with a lot of different sounds on board, and controllable via a floor pedals check out the Marshall Code series, or if you can find one, look for used Mustang III (Not the Mustang GT, I have no experience with these)

These are modeling amps, if you are not familiar and have lots and lots of on board sounds and effects on hand. The remote control with a foot pedal really does add quite a bit of functionality as well.

it'd be good to see how they compare to the Orange.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check out a Marshall Code for sure. Looks like guitar amps though. I won't blow it out with a bass? I was always under the impression that you can put a guitar through a bass amp, but not the other way around.

It's like 8 people, odd variety of acoustic instruments like fiddle and squeezebox. The only other person who uses electric instruments is using one of these for both guitar and bass:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/aga70.html

I don't think it sounds good for either.

Ok, sounds interesting and I'm guessing you might be playing quite clean in that scenario (albeit with some LP grunt) so maybe the Orange would be sufficient. What I do know is that their Crush Series (SS) CR 120 head is pretty awesome so maybe the bass version is nice too?

Ok, sounds interesting and I'm guessing you might be playing quite clean in that scenario (albeit with some LP grunt) so maybe the Orange would be sufficient. What I do know is that their Crush Series (SS) CR 120 head is pretty awesome so maybe the bass version is nice too?

Yup, mostly clean except for a few bluesy leads. I liked the idea of having some Orange gain at various volumes without a separate pedal, but as others pointed out it's probably in my best interest to just get a multi effect pedal anyhow.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check out a Marshall Code for sure. Looks like guitar amps though. I won't blow it out with a bass? I was always under the impression that you can put a guitar through a bass amp, but not the other way around.

the volume you're using would have a lot to do with it. Also are you a 4 string or 5 string player, and how heavy is your pick attack. All these would factor in. I have heard where a few people on the fender forum used a mustang III for a bass amp at moderate volumes, and were some what pleased with the results.

I traveled to India for my last large outdoor venue taking my small Marshall 212 combo. The local musicians that performed with us didn't have the luxury of personal amps but used multi effects pedals plugged directly into a very large PA system. At the time one of their most popular was the Boss ME-50 which had a wide range of effects, simple controls, AC/battery and a headphone jack that most of them used for practicing.. The point is that a decent multi effects pedal can go a long ways on just about any amp.

Archived