Gibson Brands Forums

Howdy From SoCal

fizzicist

Howdy y'all. I'm a veteran twangmeister (since 1966) who has mostly been a Fender player, with the occasional Guild, Rickenbacker, Gretsch, and others thrown in. I did own a Gibson Les Paul once upon a time; I think it was a Les Paul Custom...a cherry sunburst with gold hardware. It had a Bill Lawrence Twin Blades neck pickup when I bought it used for $500 in 1985. It sounded great, but I rarely played it because it was so doggone heavy, so I sold it.

A couple of years ago, I got a hankerin' for the same clean, chiming, both-pickups sound I got out of that Les Paul. After trying a bunch of different guitars, I found that the guitar that had exactly the sound I was looking for was an Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro—a gorgeous guitar, and with the coil splitting feature it's an awesome, versatile tone machine.

Then, a couple of months ago I had a renaissance of interest in The Moody Blues...specifically Justin Hayward, and the tones he got (and still gets) out of his 1963 ES-335TDC w/Bigsby. What started as curiosity has grown into a moderate obsession with the ES-335. I bought Tony Bacon's updated (2016) The Gibson 335 Guitar Book and devoured it. I now have a little bit of knowledge...which probably makes me dangerous. [biggrin]

Long story short, I've got a serious case of GAD for an ES-335 (Guitar Acquisition Disorder...like Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, only more advanced; there is no known cure). So, I'm fixin' to play some 335s soon...you know—to make the dream a bit more palpable. It's a near certainty that there's an ES-335 in my future.

Archived