Gibson Brands Forums

P90 SG

nopicknick

The SG was introduced in 1961 the 61 SG Special came with 2 P-90's and Slim Taper Neck. The 50's Gibson's had the rounded profile neck before the SG was released.

Later a few SG's came with p-90's and the 50's rounded profile fat neck....

Current Gibson SG's.. Look for the SG's with P-90's and "Rounded Neck"

Like this 24 fret SG Naked below....

SGN16N5CH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

There were a couple of years recently where they made SG Standards w/ a P90 pickup option (2013 and 2017?). For P90 SGs, that is the model to get in my book.

Look at this link. I am pretty sure that this SG is a Standard and not a Classic (someone made a mistake). I am so tempted to buy it.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/SG-Classic-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-114426854.gc

There were a couple of years recently where they made SG Standards w/ a P90 pickup option (2013 and 2017?). For P90 SGs, that is the model to get in my book.

Look at this link. I am pretty sure that this SG is a Standard and not a Classic (someone made a mistake). I am so tempted to buy it.

https://www.guitarce...ar-114426854.gc

2016 SG Standard P-90 with the rounded neck.. Spec says solid mahogany body...SGS90HCCH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

SG Classics (if you can find them) have a 59 round neck as well.

SG Classic Faded with Rounded neck... out of production not sure what year this is..

c2e8eeb0-41a1-40ba-8c64-c4d28f9b212a.jpg

SG Naked has a "Rounded" neck profile.

Right. But I read somewhere (a reputable source) that these Naked SG's necks were "based on" the neck of the Angus Young neck—which is slim:

2016 Gibson Limited Run SG Naked. Nothing but business SG in an unadorned natural mahogany satin finish sporting two Gibson P-90 Single Coil pickups. Features a slim neck (1.55” width at nut) that is based on the Gibson Angus Young SG specifications.

SG Classics (if you can find them) have a 59 round neck as well.

Yes, I owned one of these, as well. It was wide neck, for sure.... but more flat—not fat like the '50s Tribute or Special Single Coil. The necks on those two are like baseball bats.

On the Gibson spec's of the current SG's discussed here the words are "Neck Profile: Rounded".

Older SG's leading up to this era had a lot of variation on the neck joint that, in some cases, could make them feel even chunkier like in the image below.

img_0683-1024x728.jpg

Archived