Gibson Brands Forums

Baby Please Don't Go - chainmail performance

uncle fester

Folks,

Sal mentioned people used to post a song with the intention of others posting their versions over the next couple weeks. I love the songs you all post, and figured this was a way to hear more (and maybe steer a request or two to songs I'm hankerin' to hear:) But

Regardless, figured I'd check for level of interest before trying to start it up. Please let me know if interested (or horrified by the thought) by the attached poll.

Rgds - billroy

(PS - 'Baby Please Don't Go' is what I was thinking for the first song (because I've got a version halfway there, but more so, would LOVE to hear versions from yourselves!)

(Also happy to get any input from when this was done before that made it successful, or not?)

Are there any chord changes in that song? unsure.gif

Geeeze, I hope not... LOL - Everything's open to suggestions though - throw out your ideas, I'd rather play audience and hear you all play a bunch of stuff beyond my abilities than not listen at all.

Quite often, when a cover of a song is put up by someone on the forum playing their Gibson (let's not be silly, we know who our host is), it crosses my mind as to what a great standard that tune is, and that surely there must be others on this forum that have an interesting take on the song. Hopefully, your idea to resurrect a song of the week (give or take a weekend or so) will get some traction. There's room on the page, and it just might be a good thing to show some guitars being used, instead of just being talked about.

As far as Baby, P D G- . . . I got nuthin'.

Oh how quickly they forget....

The last song of the week effort ended with the usual poisonous froth from Hogeye. (who still hasn't put up his track of masterly guitar playing to show us all his worth!)

Put on your hard hats.....and your....chainmail! (I think it is supposed to be chain letter, is that what you meant, Billroy?)

BluesKing777.

How about 'The Beat Goes On' by Sonny and Cher? I think I know those two chords ;)

All kidding aside, when I open my mouth I go tone depth. You'll never hear me post a singing performance unless I can get someone to sing for me.

I'm amazed how good a few of our members are at singing and playing at the same time.

Others are excellent players but I think their singing must be an acquired taste that I do not have.

I have no problem with anyone leveling criticism at anyone whether they are a participant or not.

If you put it out there you should be prepared for criticism. We're not your mom and dad.

I did not think Lars sounded that bad when he started his journey but he's taken the criticism and grown by leaps and bounds plus he's playing a Gibson.

Good luck to everyone and I'll be listening.

P.S. What happened to Anne. I enjoyed her performances in these challenges and purchased her CD she put out a while ago.

All kidding aside, when I open my mouth I go tone depth. You'll never hear me post a singing performance unless I can get someone to sing for me.

Oh, I'm with you. I'd have to go with an instrumental. Maybe with a blues harp lead....

Nice one, BK(7)^3, and thanks for being a good sport about it. This tune's perfectly suited to your vocal delivery style- I think BillRoy set you up for this one.

What did you use for mics? I thought I remembered you having one of the spendy German microphones?

Thanks 62B!

I used my plain jane Shure SM58.

Guitar had my Baggs M80 soundhole pickup, but it was set for my Blues King with pole pieces way low, adding a bit of traditional ‘clank’. This runs to my (really old) Fishman Pro-EQ.

Both the mic and guitar run to my Boss VE-8 to balance the channels.

I have played the song a few times since 1976! This one is in Open F tuning, (G tuning down 2 steps).

BluesKing777.

BK can surely cover (see what I did there) any songs you add, as can most of the rest of this bunch with ease. And style.

My Soundcloud and youTube channels are only for original music.

This should be fun though.

Good job BK

Hard to know how anyone could top that ...

Only 8 votes for yes , no , indifferent

Kinda why it died out before

There was only the folk who post music involved in anyway , kind of our own little blow smoke up our arses corner of the forum 😂

Indifference, arts real enemy

Hey BK - thanks for taking the lead with a knock down drag em out version, really good stuff - you did not disappoint! (... and yes, I think chain letter is the proper term, but after my last vid posting, I think chainmail (and probably additional body armor) may be called for :)

That was Bad *** BK

I hope to get into this recording thing, I've learned a lot from you guys

I like the song posts on the form. and to be turned on to an artist I hadn't heard

Zommby you do this one?

Thanks Philfish!

I was thinking about it before and there are a few items to list to get to a recording on to the internet.

1. Guitar! Bit sad without the guitar to start with...

2. Vocal.

3. Vocal plus Guitar gets trickier in a few ways for recording/performing.

4. Recording it all....4 million ways of doing it.

5. Once you have survived the 1st 4 in the list, the true test of character is somehow getting the recording on the internet! It can seem sometimes like it is against you........ [scared]

So you can do all of the items above - the trick is to get it all together..... [smile] [smile] [smile]

BluesKing777.

alright, I started up these shenanigans - was hoping for a little more activity but feel I owe it at least to BK to throw mine in. BK's was representative of one end of the spectrum, I try to hold up the other, the less polished end ('polish' by the way is the only word in the English language that changes pronunciation when capitalized)

Recorded with 2 mics, shure SM 57 and 58, one for vocal, one for guitar... recorded in one end to end take through presonus. No effects except trying to Pan the guitar L and R. Chewing gum.

Baby PDG

alright, I started up these shenanigans - was hoping for a little more activity but feel I owe it at least to BK to throw mine in. BK's was representative of one end of the spectrum, I try to hold up the other, the less polished end ('polish' by the way is the only word in the English language that changes pronunciation when capitalized)

Recorded with 2 mics, shure SM 57 and 58, one for vocal, one for guitar... recorded in one end to end take through presonus. No effects except trying to Pan the guitar L and R. Chewing gum.

Baby PDG

Cool!

I liked it and you have come a long way in a short time! I would turn the guitar channel up about half a cat’s whisker but it has its own ‘thing’ like you did it.

Next time, wear sunglasses while chewing gum.

BluesKing777.

Sorry for being late to this thread, and sorry for not having a song to post.

However, I think the thread idea is great and really wish I could participate, but as for me, it just takes too long to learn new stuff. I can't pick up a new song and learn it in a few days and then record a passable version. I really wish I could, but I've come to realize the hard way that I can't.

It's been a while now, but a thread like this came up featuring a Townes van Zandt song (Pancho and Lefty, which is a song I really, really like). I had not done the song before, but I gave it a try anyway. I ended up posting a song that was terrible, even by my low standards, and an insult to the memory of Townes and all of his family [biggrin] The respons from the forum was polite and encouraging, which it almost always is, but I soon realized that my song was a pure lemon and felt really bad for having made it available to the public. My songs tend to grow from poor early versions, and with multiple revisions over a period of sometimes several months, even years in some cases.

My ultimate goal with this hobby is to be able to pick up a guitar, learn a song, and play it for whoever is interested. I'm far from there yet, but I'd love to participate in the future.

I listened to the versions of the song in this thread, and both of you guys really know how to play the guitar. Billroy, your songs and style more and more remind me of Nick Cave as you progress.

Looking forward to more versions...

Lars

BK / Lars, thanks for your replies - noted, turn up the guitar channel a smidge and wear sunglasses to accompany the gum. Lars, having chosen the song - I may have had a leg up in practice. I'll PM you to collude on another one in a month or twos time... It will look like we pulled it out of the blue, know one will know.

Thanks again - rgds, billroy

BK / Lars, thanks for your replies - noted, turn up the guitar channel a smidge and wear sunglasses to accompany the gum. Lars, having chosen the song - I may have had a leg up in practice. I'll PM you to collude on another one in a month or twos time... It will look like we pulled it out of the blue, know one will know.

Thanks again - rgds, billroy

Thanks for colluding with me, I mean discussing previously, I mean uh, working out which song to do before telling the, err, I mean, what a great idea for a song to get everyone participating! <_<

(I would have more listeners if I played in my yard., so I put it up on another forum and a few looked...but generally I think people think the idea of covering BPDG ...stinks. Last one out, turn off the light!)

Oh, did I mention your shoes were wrong for the song, B?

BluesKing777.

Archived