Gibson Brands Forums

Binding crack on top

So I just bought this guitar last week (pictures linked at the bottom) and got it shipped to my house. I finally got it yesterday and over all the guitar is in great shape.

I took it outside to take pictures and I noticed the binding around the horn, to the neck looked like it had a small gap or crack in it. The crack is flush with the binding and top. It's not on any other part of the guitar but the right side. Has anyone seen anything like this? And how can I go about fixing this? I'm leaving the guitar in a case with a humidifier hoping that will help.

PICTURES: http://imgur.com/gallery/61y8FKq

Can you press on the binding and make the gap disappear? If so, a luthier could heat it and glue the plastic binding to the body.

Is there clear nitro in the gap?

Either way, it is not normal and rather unsightly.

It's not too uncommon, but probably just a poorly installed binding strip. The plastic is bendable but not stretchable, so if it was originally a piece that was too short it can't really be forced back and glued tight. You'll have to start up a process with the seller. Hope it's from a legit guitar shop and backed by warranty. It's an easy repair for a competent luthier.

Archived