Gibson Brands Forums

2018 SG's with '61 Pickups

badbluesplayer

Does anybody know anything about the '61 pickups in the 2018 SG Standards? I'm wondering what the deal is with those pickups. Something about how they mismatched the coil windings in the opposite direction (polarity) to make them a little brighter or something? I'm not really sure and I haven't seen much definitive from Gibson. Does anybody have any info?

The ‘61 pickups in the ‘18 SG (and other guitars) are alnico V versions of the ‘59 Tribute pickups.

They are ‘reverse’ Burstbuckers. That is one coil is slightly overwound compared to the other. In Burstbuckers the mismatched could give a great single-coil type of sound. It’s just a smidge of single coil sound though. It’s not suddenly sounding like a Strat.

The ‘61s have the opposite coil as the overwound one. This, with the alnico V magnet, make a more balanced tone and sound. They’re less ‘single coil’ sounding compared to the Burstbuckers, but have a bit more too end crunch and sizzle compared to Classic 57s.

I believe they are Gibson’s version of an alnico V Pearly Gates.

I have owned SGs with Classic 57, Burstbuckers 1/2, and ‘61s. I played all those through the same Marshall Vintage Modern amp.

To my ears the Classic 57 gave me a thick classic sound. The Burstbuckers sounded like early AC/DC and had more clarity, but didn’t compress quite like the Classic 57s did under gain. The ‘61s sounded to me, like a mix of the Classic 57 and Burstbuckers. But on my setup with my amp and my ears, the ‘61s didn’t sound better than the 57s or Burstbuckers. Just different. Kind of like mixing both pickups but not really getting the best of both pickups. I ended up keeping the Classic 57s and Burstbuckers.

• Upvote 1

The '61 pickups in the '18 SG (and other guitars) are alnico V versions of the '59 Tribute pickups.

They are 'reverse' Burstbuckers. That is one coil is slightly overwound compared to the other. In Burstbuckers the mismatched could give a great single-coil type of sound. It's just a smidge of single coil sound though. It's not suddenly sounding like a Strat.

The '61s have the opposite coil as the overwound one. This, with the alnico V magnet, make a more balanced tone and sound. They're less 'single coil' sounding compared to the Burstbuckers, but have a bit more too end crunch and sizzle compared to Classic 57s.

I believe they are Gibson's version of an alnico V Pearly Gates.

I have owned SGs with Classic 57, Burstbuckers 1/2, and '61s. I played all those through the same Marshall Vintage Modern amp.

To my ears the Classic 57 gave me a thick classic sound. The Burstbuckers sounded like early AC/DC and had more clarity, but didn't compress quite like the Classic 57s did under gain. The '61s sounded to me, like a mix of the Classic 57 and Burstbuckers. But on my setup with my amp and my ears, the '61s didn't sound better than the 57s or Burstbuckers. Just different. Kind of like mixing both pickups but not really getting the best of both pickups. I ended up keeping the Classic 57s and Burstbuckers.

WOW, thanks for that...that was pretty much my take on it from memory after playing a 2018 'SG' STANDARD over the weekend. I was going to buy it but IDK, something about the 61's I did not like, and the 'Autumn Shade' color didn't really do it for me. I have the 2017 'SG' STANDARD, a 'Black-Beauty' and IT ROCKS and IMO it is the best 'SG' STANDARD GIBSON USA has produced in 25 years/decades...BUT I wanted the CHERRY-BURST and Saturday, after passing on the 2018 @ G.C., I went on-line and found one retailer that still had a 2017 'SG' STANDARD...WHEN I GOT HOME and went to order it, IT WAS ****IN gone, DANG !!!The '17 'SG' STANDARDS are going for $900-$1,000 used but with the 36 & 48 Month financing out there, NEW is the way 2 go at the moment so I can keep me CA$H in my pocket.........I'm gonna do one more search and hope the '17's arent gone for good......the 2019's, if GIBSON USA does anything consistently, will not be as good as the 2017 'SG' STANDARD.....different, yes, but probably not as good. I hate to say but I have been doin this for a long time....and GIBSON just screws things up.......for no good reason !!! OUCH !

You're right there is no 2017 SG Standards left on line, other than eBay. I have a 2017 SG Standard Cherry Burst in left handed, because I'm left handed..

The Cherry Burst is the way to go. I'd wait until you found one. The Autumn Shade on-line pics look great. In person it just didn't do it for me either. One of the main reasons you need to get hands-on time with the guitar.

I was ambivalent about the 61 pickups. They are really nice pickups, but compared to my '57s they're just missing 'something'. Anyways good luck!

• Upvote 1

You're right there is no 2017 SG Standards left on line, other than eBay. I have a 2017 SG Standard Cherry Burst in left handed, because I'm left handed..

The Cherry Burst is the way to go. I'd wait until you found one. The Autumn Shade on-line pics look great. In person it just didn't do it for me either. One of the main reasons you need to get hands-on time with the guitar.

I was ambivalent about the 61 pickups. They are really nice pickups, but compared to my '57s they're just missing 'something'. Anyways good luck!

YES, I had a line on the last 2017 SG STANDARD in CHERRY-BURST that Guitar Center had left on Saturday, and did not pull the trigger. I figured they had to have some left, LOL !!! Anyway, I wanted the financing dealio or I wasn't that bothereed, u know?. OH WELL.....I have a 2017 'SG' STANDARD 'BLACK BEAUTY' and it is BAD-A$$....BUT IT NEEDS TO BE SHIELDED !! Just like all of the 2016 & 2017 GIBSON USA Models I have purchased since May 2016. A recent 2018 EXPLORER 'ELITE' purchase found me with a SILENT GIBSON USA Model for the 1ST Time since I got my 1994 GIBSON USA NIGHTHAWK STANDARD that has Shielding Paint in the Control Pocket cavity, lots of it.

Does your 2017 SG Standard Cherry-Burst suffer from 'Popping' & 'Static' coming through the speakers when you have the Guitar plugged into an amp with the Pick-Ups turned up to '10' and you touch the back of the Control Pocket Cavity Cover Plate, like all 4 of the 2016 & 2017 GIBSON USA Models I have purchased since May 2016 have all done ? I am sick of paying to 'SHIELD' what I now justifiably feel is an un-finished Guitar I have been sold....and had it just been ONE, well, MAYBE, but all 4 of the 2016 & 2017 GIBSON USA Model's having the same issue? NO, NO WAY !!! I have not looked inside the Control Pocket Cavity on my 2018 GIBSON USA EXPLORER 'ELITE' to see if GIBSON USA has resumed using SHIELDING PAINT, but when I get around to it I will post my findings. I want to be fair with GIBSON USA.

I had a ‘13 brand new in box Signature that buzzed and popped right out of the box. I used some used dryer sheets rubbed on the back and it solved the problem.

My ‘17 SG Standard might have had that problem but I hardly noticed it. I removed the PCB and wired in some Emerson CTS Pots and PIO caps instead. I prefer Emerson CTS Pots because they are low torque and vintage taper so it’s generally my first and usually only mod when I get a new guitar.

I did shield paint the cavity using my trusty $8 shielding paint. I do this any time I’ve changed pots. Absolutely no static, pops, hums, scratches or other noises from the guitar even when my amp is on ‘10’ which it usually is (amp into load box with IR speakers).

I haven’t kept stock Gibson pots in any guitar and because of this I paint the cavity. So I never have any static or hum issues. Out of the box I don’t think my SG had any static issues.

BTW the two Epiphone guitars I’ve owned never had static or pops but they come with factory shielding paint. Gibson should do the same but they don’t. Oh well I don’t complain about it I just paint the cavity and there’s never been an issue.

BTW the two Epiphone guitars I've owned never had static or pops but they come with factory shielding paint. Gibson should do the same but they don't. Oh well I don't complain about it I just paint the cavity and there's never been an issue.

Well, U C, there was a time when GIBSON USA Shielded the Control Cavities on their Guitars with Shielding Paint, a few coats of it, and my 1970's and even 1990's GIBSON USA Guitars were/are SILENT.

I am also very leery of removing the PC Board, have never done that and the P n P connectors look like they will just snap....... and then what?

PLEASE NOTE:

There is a FINAL IRRITANT regarding these SHIELDING issue's I have been experiencing on these 5 Guitars: I sent my 2017 Les Paul Standard back to the retailer for some warranty repairs, the IN-LAYS @ 7TH & 9TH Frets needed to be sanded down to level w/Fingerboard and a new NUT had to be put on the Guitar as the String Action on the HIGH 'E' @ 1ST Fret was half of what it was suppossed to be and when I closed the relief down to .006" @ 7TH Fret...the High 'E' deadened out on the 1ST Fret, yes? SO, the retailer is willing to fix those two issue's as a warrantty repair, BUT to SHIELD the Guitar cost $120 and I had already SHIELDED the Pick-Up Cavities....and now I have to pay for the SHIELDING of the SG STANDARD , not to mention shipping? IDK, seems a bit Bogus to me.....

When I 1ST Called about these issue's, I got the 'DRYER SHEETS' reply, and I just said, "LOOK, tell that to someone who never owned a 1977 SG, these Guitars are NOT PROPERLY SHIELDED, and that is all there is to it...", the Guy knew it, and knew that I knew it as well.

I would like to have at least ONE of these FIVE GIBSON USA Guitars that I have spent my good $$$$ on to be Shielded as a warranty repair, call me crazy, but it sure as **** looks like a recurring problem to me.

In defense of GIBSON USA, my 2018 GIBSON EXPLORER 'ELITE' is as SILENT as my 70' & 90's GIBSON's.

• Upvote 1

BTW the two Epiphone guitars I've owned never had static or pops but they come with factory shielding paint. Gibson should do the same but they don't. Oh well I don't complain about it I just paint the cavity and there's never been an issue.

BTH... Epiphone's have a Polyurethane finish. Gibson uses Nitrocellulose which is known to have static charge problems, specially with new guitars gloss finishes that are just starting to cure...

Edited by mihcmac
  • Upvote 1

Excellent point. That may have a lot to do with the static problems Gibson's sometimes have.

Yep.... There tons of posts in this forum talking about static problems with new Gibson's... Fixes, usually involve improving grounding, shielding material, shielding paint, central air environment too dry and even anti static wipes....

Edited by mihcmac

• 10 months later...

I asked Gibson customer service about the difference between the Burstbucker Pros in my LP Standard, and the 61R and 61T in my LP Classic and they replied very quickly with some interesting info.

All the BB Pros and 61s have Alnico 5 magnets.  The difference is in the windings.  The BB Rhythm has 5000 winding on the pole, and 5200 on the slug side, the BB Lead has 5300 on the pole, and 5500 on the slug side.

The 61s are both wound the same (explained because back in the day they didn't use different winding for the different position of the pickup) and they are 5261 winds on the pole and 5000 on the slug side.  Also the bridge pickup is reverse wind/reverse polarity for the purpose of cancelling  hum when you use coil tap or coil split function.

So the BB Pros have more winds on the slug side of both pickups, whereas the 61s have more winds on the pole piece side.  As to the difference in tone, that depends on your ears, but to me the 61s are a little louder, and a little crunchier or dirtier.  The BB Pro are cleaner and more glassy.  But regardless of ones interpretation, there is a distinct difference in the sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Since others have already given the technical low-down on these 2018 61 pickups, I'll just say...

They sound great! I snatched-up one of the last remaining '18 SG Standards (that I could locate) back in February (see avatar), and I'm glad I did! It quickly became my favorite SG that I've ever owned—and I've owned many. The pickups sound fantastic, the neck is a dream, and the Autumn Shade finish is gorgeous.

• 1 month later...