Gibson Brands Forums

Now I've Gone And Done It

Joe M

About a week or ten days ago, one of my local shops had a brand new SG Jr. at a great price so I bought it and brought it home http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/143759-ngd-and-string-question/. Still loving it's simplicity and playability. Yesterday, I was in another local shop and they had just taken in a near mint 2010 SG Standard on consignment. Couple of very, very small nicks on the bottom of the guitar where it rests on your leg and some button marks on the back near the access panel that I know will rub out when I get around to it. Absolutely no fret wear. Price was way lower than I had ever seen. Original mint hardshell Gibson case. Was told the owner was a college student looking for tuition money so he was pricing it to sell quickly. Again, I couldn't pass it up, so I brought it home. Maybe not such a great story if I wasn't a die-hard Fender boy. My collection of electrics are all Strats and Teles. Never really liked the dark sound of humbuckers in any guitar. Of course, the Jr., with it's P90, is not as dark, but still more so than Fender's single coils. But, for whatever reason, I'm finding the pu's in the Standard are not as dark as I remember. Maybe it's because of the body wood and shape, compared to a Les Paul. Anyway, I'm a pretty happy camper right now, with two new Gibby's that I never would have thought I'd enjoy like I have been so far.

Thanks for putting up with my ranting....

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE....after playing the SG Standard for 3+ weeks, I got rid of it. Loved the way it played, looked and felt. Still couldn't get past the thick, dark sound of the PU's, even with added treble and reduced bass on my amp(s). Even though it was a beauty, I just can't justify keeping something that I know won't get used. The Jr., however, is a keeper. As I said in my original post, it's simplicity is perfect, both in function and sound. Thicker than the single coils on my Fenders, but no where near as dark as the SG Standard.

UPDATE....after playing the SG Standard for 3+ weeks, I got rid of it. Loved the way it played, looked and felt. Still couldn't get past the thick, dark sound of the PU's, even with added treble and reduced bass on my amp(s). Even though it was a beauty, I just can't justify keeping something that I know won't get used. The Jr., however, is a keeper. As I said in my original post, it's simplicity is perfect, both in function and sound. Thicker than the single coils on my Fenders, but no where near as dark as the SG Standard.

I experienced something very similar when I acquired a new Jr after a few decades of having some really hot humbucker based guitars. Now, everything I currently play usually has two P-90's except for one Jr. In addition I have one Strat, but my primary collection are all Gibson style with P-90's.

Archived