Gibson Brands Forums

Oh Gawd Strings Again!

Hall

Was graced with a six pack of these Straight Up Strings by a well meaner <(I think ). No verdict yet, but they do sound different from the run of the mill for sure. Just thought I would mention it. *Click on image for description

Yes, free is nice. Point was though, these are supposed to sound different, and they do so. Volume, harmonics and individual. Too soon for a judgement, but they sure sound and feel sweet at the start.

Yes, free is nice. Point was though, these are supposed to sound different, and they do so. Volume, harmonics and individual. Too soon for a judgement, but they sure sound and feel sweet at the start.

What is your standard go to string, and are these the same materials?

Rgds- billroy

Martin Acoustic SPs, 80/20 Bronze. Light gauge. On all of my Gibsons.

No reason for me to use or try any others. They are the one for me.

(Except, I do use the same except Mediums on my Epiphone Masterbuilt Olympic (an arch top) and my Epiphone EL-00 (because it gives the small Epi a bit more sound.)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

What is your standard go to string, and are these the same materials?

Rgds- billroy

billroy: I use John Pearse PBs. and have for years. Straight Ups, are PBs also with a construction story of their own. Heck, Just thought some folks might want to check the story on them, or offer their thoughts if they have tried them as they are a different offering for sure. BUT, granted, strings are a bore to most of us as we're usually pretty set on what we use. [smile]

billroy: I use John Pearse PBs. and have for years. Straight Ups, are PBs also with a construction story of their own. Heck, Just thought some folks might want to check the story on them, or offer their thoughts if they have tried them as they are a different offering for sure. BUT, granted, strings are a bore to most of us as we're usually pretty set on what we use. [smile]

ok - i may not have been the fish you were hoping for, but you caught me. I'm a PB guy, just moved for D'addario to Martins. Was looking at the concept behind these, and the idea of focusing on tensions is interesting. Looking forward to your review after a little time in the saddle.

They offer an option to have a new set delivered every 30 days, seems a little quick for me, so wondering what the longevity is like as well.

Why not elixirs on the 15 murph ?

I had been using them for many years for the feel, durability and they sounded good with the Rosewood. Can't explain, but the experiment began for endurance.

The J-15 was new, just months old, and obviously came with Gibson Masterbuilt, and a few spare sets in the case. That guitar sounded so darned good right out of the gate, bright, full, plenty of bass etc, and I simply haven't wanted to mess with it. I've changed the tone considerably just experimenting with picks !

In my neck of the woods guitar stores and repair shops routinely restring instruments with SIT (Stay In Tune) strings. I could not figure out why until recently. Apparently the strings are made by a very small operation only some 20 minutes down the road from me. They apparently have been around since 1980. Thus far I have been pretty impressed with them.

Archived