Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Southern Jumbo & J-45

MackTheKnife

I think it's safe to assume that at the very least, the two models are basically the same, aside from the cosmetic differences. The SJ is a bit more fancy. However, Gibson is always doing something different, so you never know for sure (mine is a rosewood SJ, so is it actually an SJ or just a different-looking rosewood J45?). Either model or version of the SJ/J45 is a real sweet instrument. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Hello,

is the 2018 Southern Jumbo identical to the J-45, except for cosmetic differences?

Thanks

Custom shop runs of either model can be quite different. I have a Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo with 30's style advanced bracing and an Adirondack top. It is an entirely different animal that my J-45 with standard bracing and Sitka.

Mr Wilson recently had a thread about the Southern Jumbo- and when looking at the SoJo alongside the J-45, the info that was shared in Jim's thread revealed that not just the cosmetic, but the Southern Jumbo has been made with different top wood, pickguard type (Batwing vs teardrop), sunburst variety, bridge pin location, etc.

So judge each one on it's own merit, and always remember : YGMV. (your G may vary)

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/143741-southern-jumbo/page__p__1949459__hl__%2Bbridge+%2Bpins__fromsearch__1#entry1949459

Archived