Gibson Brands Forums

When Did Gibson Include The Multi-Tool?

AngryHatter

I just got a Firebird - I love it.

Gig bag, meh.

Guitar? Superb. Minihumbuckers!!!

But my query is the HUGE swiss army knife tool. When did they start including that instead of the ubiquitous truss rod wrench?

This thing has more heft to it than the similar wrench I got with my motorcycle?

Everything you need? The screwdriver that fits, the allen wrench that fits?

Whomever thought that one up deserves kudos.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a stinker, haha! No, I have a new 2018 Goldtop Classic that came with the tool referenced here in the thread. It's a good guitar, but it has some issues. I will mention that I did exchange my first one because it has a HUGE gouge under the pickguard. The next one I bought had some rough fret ends, but whatever on this. The guitar sounds great and looks great. Wasn't cheap though if I might add. Oh yeah, this was my only other brand new Gibson guitar I bought. I used the rewards cash for my GC CC and took advantage of the sale of the day to get a better price on it. Again, wasn't cheap though. I just know when I buy a Gibson, it will need some TLC to get right, because I expect it to have some noticeable flaws. But I can live with SOME flaws. After all, in time, I will probably scratch it, bump it slightly, but it will always sound good it nothing major happens to it.

I have the same 2018 Goldtop Classic that I got from Sweetwater. It was a demo model and I got it for $600.00 off list price. After getting it home, I put new strings on it, did my own adjustment of the bridge, pickups, neck, intonation and all that. That poor guitar was so nervous. Here he was, being taken from his home, brought to a strange home and I start doing surgery on him! I checked it out, played it around the house, with the band, etc.

Then, fast forward two months and I notice that there's a small chip in the finish/binding on the top side of the neck around the 5th fret. It's small, maybe the size of a BB. I can see it. I can feel it. But, I love the guitar and wouldn't trade it for anything. As long as it's cosmetic and the guitar is functional, I can deal with it. I guess someone bumped it at some point and that's where it came from. It's a heavy thing at 11 pounds but the way it plays and sounds is amazing.

Also, Chris, I don't know if you noticed this or not but my 2018 Gibson cases just say Gibson. My 2017 Gibson cases say Gibson USA.

Yeah, my case is the same - only says Gibson. As well, my Classic is like yours HEAVY AS EVER!!! And I'm with you on cosmetic issues like you described. I just couldn't live with this gouge on the brand new goldtop finish that was very noticeable. Even the GC guy said that was a bad mark and had 0 issues sending me off with the other Classic he had on the wall. But they are great sounding guitars period. I was rocking it out last night adoring the sound that comes out of those P90s. Even if some of the fret ends are a bit off and a nib is non-existent on the neck binding, it is a small deal and no one but the player - and attentive player - will notice this. It doesn't hamper the playability and definitely not the sound. It also sounds like you got a great deal on yours too.

Yeah, I have two Goldtops with P90's. One is the Classic, the other is the Tribute. I played the Tribute last night and the sounds out of that little guitar was just amazing. I think my Traditional with the Burstbucker 1 and 2 is a little more versatile but those P90's sound great through my Marshall. I'm constantly using my volume knobs and pickup selector based on songs and which part of the song. I have the amp on fairly high gain and take it down a bit using the volume for a nice crunch, turning up a bit for the lead parts. And, on the clean channel, neck pickup, what a great sound.

I was just messing around, haha! The tool is pretty useful to be honest. It makes for some nice case candy msp_biggrin.gif Sure a lot more helpful than that photo of my guitar on the workbench before it ships, haha! Don't forget that's included in the price msp_lol.gif

Wait, that's not just a generic guitar similar to mine?

In the 1990s a pal bought a Lotus - every week he got a 3 ring binder with 8x12 glossy photo updates.

"Here's Nigel installing the walnut dashboard."

It cracked me up, but $95k for a car I would like a few perquisite included.

If that really is MINE then, Good on ya Gibson.

Yeah, looking really closely I think it IS mine. The fretboard has a weird dark to light pattern and so does the pic.

Yeah, a case with a guitar is a big deal to me. Gig bags don't cut it either. A little while back - about 20 years ago - I bought a Hamer guitar. Nice piece of wood there, and I transported it in a gig bag. Well, something happened to it in transit one time or another, because the body around the neck joint - where the neck is glued into the body like a Gibson LP for instance - straight up split. It was a huge deal breaker and I lost out on this guitar totally. Only had it a couple months too and spent about $600 let's say on this. Really sucked, but since then, I just don't like gig bags. Maybe I was a bit careless then, but whatever. If I had this in a hardshell case, I am fairly certain that this guitar would be around and intact today.

Second thing I did after a setup was order a HSC.

They cost all of $100, I would have easily paid another $100 to have a Gibson HSC included.

But that it came with a bag was not a deal breaker for me.

My new 2018 SG Jr. that I just brought home a couple of weeks ago had the tool included. Also a pretty nice "Gibson" strap was in the compartment. I was surprised it came with a nice, brown, Gibson embossed hard shell case. Oh, it also had a photo of the actual guitar sitting on someone's workbench. Anyway, I'm guessing it was the actual guitar, no way to tell for sure. And, the guitar itself is just about perfect...beautiful rosewood fret board, excellent-looking mahogany body that the finish is already sinking into, and perfect fit and finish on the whole guitar. I've looked, and can't find any imperfections anywhere. Way better than most of the stuff coming out of Bozeman. And this is on a guitar that sold for just north of $1000. I'm impressed, Gibson.

Yeah, a case with a guitar is a big deal to me. Gig bags don't cut it either. A little while back - about 20 years ago - I bought a Hamer guitar. Nice piece of wood there, and I transported it in a gig bag. Well, something happened to it in transit one time or another, because the body around the neck joint - where the neck is glued into the body like a Gibson LP for instance - straight up split. It was a huge deal breaker and I lost out on this guitar totally. Only had it a couple months too and spent about $600 let's say on this. Really sucked, but since then, I just don't like gig bags. Maybe I was a bit careless then, but whatever. If I had this in a hardshell case, I am fairly certain that this guitar would be around and intact today.

OH THAT SUCKS !!! I mean, OUCH ! Sorry to hear that.

IDK what the criteria is that GIBSON use's to determine if a GIBSON Guitar gets a Hard-Shell Case when it is leaving the factory, or NOT! BUT some of them are laughable that get one and other's ICB that they do not get one. The 2015 Les Paul Junior and Les Paul Double-Cut, the Hard-Shell Case for those Guitars looks, and feels, like it costs more than the Guitar itself does....and that is for a $1,000 Guitar? (IDK, how much they actually cost that year) and then you have your SG FADED's coming in at roughly the same price these days, $900-$1100 and it gets a Douch, I mean, Gig -Bag? WOW...I just don't get it. I think a decent Hard Shell Case can be produced for $50, sold for $75 and that cost is most likely NOT going to determine whether or not somone buys that GIBSON USA Guitar.

A new GIBSON USA Guitar comes with literature that Congratulates the Buyer on the purchase of a 'LIFE-TIME GUITAR',yes? ........ and then how GIBSON USA can go and send that 'LIFE-TIME' Guitar out into the big bad World in a Gig-Bag is just beyond me, and, IMO, really does point out GIBSON's idiocies in regards to certain things, it would be funny if it weren't so sad !

I just will NOT even think about transporting a Guitar without a Hard-Shell Case........Especially now that I am able to buy a little bit better quality GIBSON Guitar than when I was a Poor College student and the GIBSON I had was 'PRIZED POSSESION' over which I was severely over-protective.........no way !

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure the multi-tool started coming with 2017 models. It's part of the "accessory kit" that Gibson USA includes in the case - usually a strap, the multi-tool, a polish cloth and even a photo of your guitar on the bench being tested. But this stuff only comes from Gibson USA - I spent thousands more on a Custom Shop guitar and you don't get anything from them except a COA, go figure. [confused]

Archived