Gibson Brands Forums

H & D...

Jim Wilson

I notice that Huss & Dalton offer a Slope. I wonder how it compares to the standard Gibson J45. Who has had some picking time on the H & D?

Be advised, Jim...H&D's are *addicting*...I chose one of their smaller bodies-Crossroads-, outstanding!eusa_clap.gif Did an A/B with my BluesKing and decided it was time to get the H&D.

Lovely guitars, brilliant build quality and consistency. Tonally they’re a bit too “clean” and “hi-fi” for my tastes though. Just a personal thing...sonically they’re like the lovechild of a vintage Martin and a high end Taylor.

Played two that I recall and know a gal who has one. Initially, when I first had contact with them back around 2000 I thought they were the lightest guitars I'd ever played. Kind of made me doubtful about getting one and taking it to gigs. Sound-wise they were superb. They resonated. Similar to how I view my Dove. Since those early years, I now find Gibson and Martin also making very lightweight guitars. My Koa AJ is light-as-hell. Also very sturdy and has taken-away my concerns about a very lightweight guitar.....Not looking for a Huss & Dalton, but if one came along that I really liked and the price was decent, I just might. Top notch instruments.

I notice that Huss & Dalton offer a Slope. I wonder how it compares to the standard Gibson J45. Who has had some picking time on the H & D?

Lovely guitars, brilliant build quality and consistency. Tonally they’re a bit too “clean” and “hi-fi” for my tastes though. Just a personal thing...sonically they’re like the lovechild of a vintage Martin and a high end Taylor.

Don't be fooled by the looks. I own and H&D DS-12 Custom slope and a Gibson J-45 Banner reissue and have played multiple several other 14 ftret H&D slopes and various j-45's. From my experiences you would be hard pressed to find two more tonally differing guitars. To me the J-45 is woody, thumpy and characterised by a thick mid-range, a dry fundamental tone and quick note decay. The H&D is a much more polished beast.

Like others have said they are incredibly light and resonate for days. Even though mine is mahogany it almost sounds like a rosewood guitar its so lush and creates a lot of overtones. To me the H&D slopes make wonderful fingerstyle and fingerpicking instruments (for folk but not blues) but are not that great for strumming or single line runs due to the sustain. My H&D is deep, dark and lush with great clarity. The crossroads versions are slightly more in the Gibson vein but still very far from the oringinal. Both oustanding instruments and I love both guitars but do not play the same pieces on them.

Like others have said they are incredibly light and resonate for days. Even though mine is mahogany it almost sounds like a rosewood guitar its so lush and creates a lot of overtones. To me the H&D slopes make wonderful fingerstyle and fingerpicking instruments (for folk but not blues) but are not that great for strumming or single line runs due to the sustain. My H&D is deep, dark and lush with great clarity. The crossroads versions are slightly more in the Gibson vein but still very far from the oringinal. Both oustanding instruments and I love both guitars but do not play the same pieces on them.

Like some owners say..."ain't no one trick pony". The standard CrossRoads can come very close to a 30's Gibby with monels or D'addario nickels.

Archived