Gibson Brands Forums

refinish or not

I have a '48 L4 acoustic in a tobacco burst finish. It looks like it has been gigged in every blues dive between Chicago and Boston at least once. Someone it it's past has made an attempt at refinishing it some years ago. The back looks like original finish, but the top, sides, and neck look redone with a furniture varnish. I had a neck 1-7 refret done and it plays really nice. I would like to have the neck and body refinished to original glory. I don't plan to ever sell it. What would it cost to do a job like this? Or do it or not??

If the furniture 'varnish' was added over the top of the original burst, it's possible to strip that chemically without affecting the old school lacquer. You haven't given enough info, though, to really get good advice, but I'm sure there are guys out there who could strip it to blond and duplicate the burst for a few hundred bucks. Finding someone would take some legwork.

If you can figure out how to post pictures here it would be good to see it. You could use the email link on my profile page to show me the top, if not.

post-83941-024683500 1535400243_thumb.jpg

tried to post photo of front

I would get the cracks fixed and Not Refinish it.. it looks good as is.. you drop the value by more than half.. Not including what you put into it for the refin.

Archived