Gibson Brands Forums

You Owe It To Yourself To Get Mini Humbuckers

AngryHatter

Honeymoon is in full bloom.

Someone will chime in and mention the magnets have changed over the years and ONLY xyz magnets sound like a real FB.

This guitar has Fender chime and humbucker growl.

I happen to like the neck profile. The geometry of the body & neck works for my fat belly. I get a nice handle on the guitar and can attack to my hearts content.

I am cheap. So I got the pelham blue finish which is $800 less than vintage sunburst.

These pickups are very versatile. They are responsive and follow my lead well.

And even though the volume and tone wiring are "good enough" I may want to upgrade the harness since the chicklet caps make me squirm.

Any suggestions on that front?

Honeymoon is in full bloom.

Someone will chime in and mention the magnets have changed over the years and ONLY xyz magnets sound like a real FB.

This guitar has Fender chime and humbucker growl.

I happen to like the neck profile. The geometry of the body & neck works for my fat belly. I get a nice handle on the guitar and can attack to my hearts content.

I am cheap. So I got the pelham blue finish which is $800 less than vintage sunburst.

These pickups are very versatile. They are responsive and follow my lead well.

And even though the volume and tone wiring are "good enough" I may want to upgrade the harness since the chicklet caps make me squirm.

Any suggestions on that front?

I'm usually not a fan of pelham blue, but the guitar in your avatar looks really good!

The only Mini-Humbucker I have ever played through is in my 1994 NIGHTHAWK Standard ST-3, and it is pretty BAD-A$$. What impresses me most about it is the clarity I get out of it. In terms of Tone it has the EXACT same TONE as the Neck Pick-Up in my 2018 EXPLORER 'ELITE' which is a Burst-Bucker 2.

I have a Taylor solid body with mini humbuckers. They were designed and built by Taylor, but like others here with Gibson mini's have said they are just super, super clean and clear. They can get nasty if your overdrive the amp or use pedals, but the clean's the thing with these.

My first Gibson bought used in 1973 was a 1969 Les Paul Deluxe. This model was originally modified to use up a pile of Epiphone mini humbuckers Gibson had leftover after they moved Epiphone production to Japan. A P-90 pickup cover was routed out to fill in the gap of the original P-90 version gold top. Even Lester himself loved the tone of the LP Deluxe. I have a newer Firebird also, with ceramic magnet mini's but I've always liked the tone of the original PAF mini's best...……..

iyRXWEx.jpg

v1MDnaRh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I never understood why anyone would get mini-humbuckers over the regular ones. What's the deal?

For the very same reason folks have guitars with single-coil Fender / P-90 / Filtertrons / A.N.Other.

They have their own unique sound.

Mini hums.........sometimes it gets weird......lol...

I loved it when you did it first and I'm still loving it.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool SSS guy where Strats are concerned but that is an exception to my credo. That is one Superb looking Strat!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

thanks!

It began as an american special strat......I wanted to do a bit of messing with it, so it got a new capri orange body.

I was going to keep it SSS and perhaps add a stacked bucker in the bridge, but a craigslist add local to me had the fully pre wired pickguard assembly ready to drop in for less than the two Seymour Duncan pickups could be had. The pickguard color matched the orange well, so no brainer... the "Creamsicle" was born.

it will coil split to the two outer coils, two inner coils, phase, and just regular HH, so it's got quite a range of tones.

Top that off with the fact that in my opinion, the american special is a HUGE bang for the buck guitar, and it's a really fun fiddle for not a lot of cash.

I need to get a proper picture of it.

NHTom

well, a little better...need to get it out in the daylight.....

OL2lkUu.jpg

My first Gibson bought used in 1973 was a 1969 Les Paul Deluxe ... Even Lester himself loved the tone of the LP Deluxe.

iyRXWEx.jpg

Guitar Center has a Les Paul Deluxe for $1599 (comes with a HSC too) that has been completely gnawing at me ... Your awesome post is not helping the cause.

L01410000003000-00-220x220.jpg

I think you are talking about the Firebird in your avatar. Steve Ford loves his.

That is true.

I play the Firebird every day, the others just sit in their cases most of the time.

The guitar just fits me right and I do like the sound from them; you can get pretty close with a Lucille with the VariTone, though.

My first impressions of mini humbuckers dates back to the early 70s, where they were found in LPs like the one pictured above. I never understood the appeal, however, because the guys that played them were getting a very thin, brittle sound out of their guitars -- so uncharacteristic of the LP sound I was familiar with. So to me they were pickups to be avoided. Perhaps it was just the setups the guys were using though. After all, this was the early 70s, which pretty much meant that, if you were after tone, you had your choice between Marshalls and Fenders. Still, my attitude then was -- and often still is -- they should be yanked out and replaced with proper P90s, whose cavities they're using anyway.

So one question I have about the minis is have they ever been reformulated by Gibson over the years? I'm sure they probably have, but I also don't know what the results of these reformulations might have been. At any rate, you guys have me curious now. So now I need to go listen to some Gibsons with mini 'buckers played through good amplification.

Archived