Gibson Brands Forums

We Just Disagee

drathbun

I just completed a cover of Dave Mason's 1977 hit "We Just Disagree". I've always wanted to cover this song but none of the tabs sounded right, which made me suspect none of the tabs has the right tuning. I found a YouTube video of Mason playing this song live and found he tuned his 12 string guitar in open E tuning (EBEG#BE). This is basically open D (DADF#AD) with a capo at fret 2. Dave plays it with his 12 string tuned UP to open E. I would never put that much stress on any guitar that I own (a rental maybe). I discovered from the video what chord shapes he's playing and tuned my 12 string to open D. This is a much more comfortable vocal range for me anyway. It sounds great on a 12 string.

However, when attempting to record it, I decided to do what Dave (and many other artists; Pink Floyd, Stones, Beach Boys etc) have done when wanting to record a 12 string part. Since 12 strings are notoriously difficult to record without getting very muddy, artists will record a six string and then dub a Nashville tuned six string on top playing the same part. This is what Dave Mason did for the original recording.

So I tuned my SJ200 to Open D and recorded it. Then used my old Yamaha FG150 (1968) which is strung in high Nashville (low E is same gauge and pitch as the high E) to record the same part with slight variations.

I recorded the SJ200 through a Rode NT1A mic through the right channel and the iRig Acoustic Stage through the left; panned hard right and left. The Nashville was recorded with the iRig straight up the middle. The vocal is the NT1A as well. The blend of the SJ200 and the Nashville tuned guitar gives a nice shimmering 12 string sound with out much mud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYPf4lNOiAI&feature=youtu.be

Excellent! Great performance and production as usual.

I also use a Nashville tuned guitar when recording. I find it a great way to be able to use the excact same chord shapes in the exact same positions, but have it sound very different. I usually have the main guitar mixed straight down the middle, while the Nashville guitar is panned a bit to the side, playing something a little different over the same chords. Makes my playing sound better and more involved than it really is [thumbup]

Lars

Excellent! Great performance and production as usual.

I also use a Nashville tuned guitar when recording. I find it a great way to be able to use the excact same chord shapes in the exact same positions, but have it sound very different. I usually have the main guitar mixed straight down the middle, while the Nashville guitar is panned a bit to the side, playing something a little different over the same chords. Makes my playing sound better and more involved than it really is [thumbup]

Lars

It certainly adds a lot of texture, width and depth to an acoustic recording! Thanks for the compliment, Lars. The feedback is much appreciated.

Archived