Gibson Brands Forums

Question about doublecuts

Arunas

I've been wanting to get a "doublecut" for a while now. For the longest time I have been fishing for a Gibson Les Paul Special 2015

LPSD15HCSN1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

But ever since the summer namm, I've come to a halt, mainly because they announced this:

wY4iIC9.jpg

My question is how different is their body shape? I'm very interested in the body thickness as I'd prefer it to be closer to an SG rather than a Les Paul. To me, it seems the Junior (

) is thinner than the 2015 (
). Could anyone confirm or dismiss this?

jun.png

Im not sure if its thinner or not.. BUT the thing about the modern double cut shape how far the fretboard goes in to the body.. On the old ones its the last fret on the new ones its like the 4th fret from the end.. This totally changes the way the necks feel when you are playing up there.. The old style for me feels much better. I think Gibson did it to make the neck joint bigger thus stronger, but I have never heard of the neck coming off a Junior or Special so I don't think it needed changing..

I have one of the older styled ones from 2009.. This one.. And I absolutely love it.

fXyOMFy.jpg

I have a 2015 Special DC and it is fairly thick, more so than a SG but with the access of a SG. Personally I am not a fan of it but I want one of each model in the shunned 2015 model year so I have it.

Is it the hologram on the back or the signature squiggle that set the hook?

I had one from around 2007 and the body thickness was the same as the 2015, I can't see them changing the thickness on the current one.

I was after one of these for years as a kid but the chase was better than the capture so it ended up with a new owner after a bit.

Wow. The LP Standards come in Seafoam Green and Blueberry Burst.

Yeah im not sure they are finished yet.. Id be shocked if they only come in two colours. The 2019 Classic is just showing a honey burst and GT at the moment.

Archived