• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open Mic Starter Kit

#61 User is offline   billroy 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:24 AM

View PostBluesKing777, on 14 September 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

I had better point out that while there are no rules as such, most people use the SM58 for vocal and the SM57 for instruments.

They are both the same mic with different attachments on the front for these applications.

BluesKing777.

Thanks BK, I get the numbers mixed up but do know which is which (the big one with the grill on the end is for singing, the one that looks like a torpedo is for the instruments). I also say giggiraff and hippomotopoos.
'18 Gibson J45, vintage
'86 Guild D25
'00 Fender Strat (American Standard)
'90 Fender Strat (Korea, bought in an open market in Korea... yeah it might be real)
'68 Gibson SG
'17 Several 3 String CBGs

"Want people to listen to your stuff, don't play boring stuff..." heard somewhere.

#62 User is offline   sbpark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:27 AM

View Postbillroy, on 14 September 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

I'm 6 days away and have re-adjusted my open mic strategy (I was accused of overthinking before and shot that down... I guess I can be accused of that now).

Regardless,
  • My song choice has changed
  • For set up - I've changed from: guitar - soundhole pickup
  • To: guitar - mic (probably Shure SM58, with SM57 for singing))

I'm sitting anyways, it's only 2 songs, my song choice has changed so highlighting a lead style riff is not as important, and the mic'd sound is better than my 'pick up' sound. Evaluating all, seems like an open mic with limited songs is an optimal place for a mic'd set up.

That's my strategy right now and this coming open mic... but weighing the several other posts on mics etc, my dream set up is:
  • Guitar: K&K mini + Tonedexter
  • Mic: Edwina

This would be my special occasion set up.

Worry less about the gear and more about the performance. Not saying this to keep you from using a different setup than you originally were going to use. I just say this because a LOT of people will get more caught up in worrying about and second guessing the gear and go down a very distracting rabbit hole that consumes all their time wondering about what pickups, gear, preamps, etc., to use and end up spending way less time practicing the actual songs and working on the parts they are a little rusty on.

As far as the Tonedexter, I'd say no way, unless you already own one and have experience using it live. It's too complicated and you want something you can easily plug in and go with. I'd say for the first go at it, keep it super simple and stick to your original plan and focus more on the music.

#63 User is offline   QuestionMark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:08 PM

Just felt I should add here that I concur with sbpark. Iíve seen way too many musicians end up focusing too much on all the tech and gear stuff too much when itís really the music and how itís performed that matters. All the rest is just part of the delivery system to best convey your music and performance, but at the core, itís really your music and performance.

My beat to you and my best wishes to you for a good performance.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

This post has been edited by QuestionMark: 15 September 2018 - 02:11 PM

#64 User is offline   billroy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

Ok all, it's go time.

Here's my equipment: J45, soundhole pickup, cigar box guitar, slide, picks, tuner, gum, t-shirt. (The wife surprised me with the 'br live' t-shirt this morning, was going to do the greased chest, but gotta wear this now ;). I got my set down (it's all about the performance), I've communicated and am in sync with the guy running the show, and got a few friendly folks (14 of them) coming for support.

Posted Image

Finger's crossed, let's go rock this joint! (and truly thanks to you all for the tips and feedback along the way).
'18 Gibson J45, vintage
'86 Guild D25
'90 Fender Strat (Korea, bought in an open market in Korea... yeah it might be real)
'68 Gibson SG

"Want people to listen to your stuff, don't play boring stuff..." heard somewhere.

#65 User is offline   Lars68 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:39 PM

Good luck!!

Lars

#66 User is offline   dhanners623 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:11 PM

Knock them dead. Above all, have fun. You're doing what lots of people want to do, but can't or won't.
Check out my latest record, There Are No Secrets in This Town, by going to https://davidhannersmusic.com. Thanks!

#67 User is offline   billroy 

• Advanced Member

Posted Yesterday, 06:18 AM

Hey All - I got to say, success was achieved! Gave a performance that was well received by the crowd, did my three songs and was asked to do a fourth (per crowd demands). Most of all, I had a really good time! I made a few mistakes, the sound through the PA wasn't as good as at home, but none of that was a show stopper - just stayed in the flow, made sure it was visible I was having fun, tried to do what I could to engage the crowd... and the crowd came along for the ride.

It was actually a slow night for them, so I got to do a second set (2 songs)... ending with my crowd pleasing 'gotta take my pills'. A song anyone over 50, dealing with blood pressure, cholesterol, etc... relates to, and more than one head was nodding.

Bucket list item: 'play live' - check.

Gibson shout out - J45 was noticed, appreciated, heard at least twice 'wow, that's a nice guitar!'
'18 Gibson J45, vintage
'86 Guild D25
'68 Gibson SG

#68 User is offline   dhanners623 

• Advanced Member

Posted Yesterday, 06:23 AM

Glad to hear it went well! I hope the advice you got here was helpful and made it a slightly less-intimidating experience.

You might find that performing live goes from "bucket list item" to "addiction" pretty quickly....
Check out my latest record, There Are No Secrets in This Town, by going to https://davidhannersmusic.com. Thanks!

#69 User is offline   QuestionMark 

• Advanced Member

Posted Yesterday, 06:24 AM

Congratulations on your initial outing! Glad to hear that it went well! My next advice...keep yourself grounded and keep focusing on refining your presentation and performing skills. Too many musicians try to keep the high of performing artificially going. Performing is actually kind of an unnatural thing, to have everyone watching, listening, and adrenaline constantly flowing. Keep that in mind. Keep working on the basics and the music with your feet on the ground. Then future performances will continue to be musical growth experiences as well as fun! And, new audiences members will pick up on your music craft approach one by one (and, if they for some reason do not, it should not deter you for still continuing to work on your musical craft.). Thatís been my approach and itís worked for me all these years. Again, congrats on your initial outing! Glad our advice on the forum was helpful. Hope it continues to be.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

This post has been edited by QuestionMark: Yesterday, 06:44 AM

#70 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted Yesterday, 07:44 AM

View Postbillroy, on 21 September 2018 - 06:18 AM, said:

Hey All - I got to say, success was achieved! Gave a performance that was well received by the crowd, did my three songs and was asked to do a fourth (per crowd demands). Most of all, I had a really good time! I made a few mistakes, the sound through the PA wasn't as good as at home, but none of that was a show stopper - just stayed in the flow, made sure it was visible I was having fun, tried to do what I could to engage the crowd... and the crowd came along for the ride.

It was actually a slow night for them, so I got to do a second set (2 songs)... ending with my crowd pleasing 'gotta take my pills'. A song anyone over 50, dealing with blood pressure, cholesterol, etc... relates to, and more than one head was nodding.

Bucket list item: 'play live' - check.

Gibson shout out - J45 was noticed, appreciated, heard at least twice 'wow, that's a nice guitar!'

Congratulations Billroy!

A very big move from the idea to the real thing! Will you be getting back on the horse or letting it run in the paddock for a while?

BluesKing777.

#71 User is offline   billroy 

• Advanced Member

Posted Yesterday, 02:34 PM

Thanks all, and absolutely yes - guidance from this forum made it more successful, and enjoyable! I will be getting back on the horse, but not for a month, so QM will heed your advice and keep honing those skills!
'18 Gibson J45, vintage
'86 Guild D25
'68 Gibson SG

#72 User is online   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted Today, 05:19 AM

View Postbillroy, on 20 September 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

and got a few friendly folks (14 of them) coming for support.

That's a heckuva following for your first gig at an open mic.

You're gonna need a stadium if you decide to do a show !

[thumbup]

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users