Gibson Brands Forums

Open Mic Starter Kit

uncle fester

Thanks for checking in but no, haven't played yet (it's a week from thursday). I did do a live dry run this afternoon though with the family and a few friends by the campfire (received accolades, and one pair of women's underpants).

Full volume, full performance start to finish. Was surprised at how nervous I was sitting down to start but once got into it was good. I did focus on nothing for a bit, but after a some - started to look at folks, with good expressions. Was good to do before the real thing, will post how it goes.

PS - noted on being a d1nk, people remember.

Family, friends, relatives, in laws and outlaws can be way harder and ruder than a general open mic love fest! Especially the 2nd plus time.

In the bag, Billroy!

BluesKing777.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 6 days away and have re-adjusted my open mic strategy (I was accused of overthinking before and shot that down... I guess I can be accused of that now).

Regardless,

• My song choice has changed
  • For set up - I've changed from: guitar - soundhole pickup
  • To: guitar - mic (probably Shure SM58, with SM57 for singing))

I'm sitting anyways, it's only 2 songs, my song choice has changed so highlighting a lead style riff is not as important, and the mic'd sound is better than my 'pick up' sound. Evaluating all, seems like an open mic with limited songs is an optimal place for a mic'd set up.

That's my strategy right now and this coming open mic... but weighing the several other posts on mics etc, my dream set up is:

•  
  • Guitar: K&K mini + Tonedexter
  • Mic: Edwina

This would be my special occasion set up.

I totally agree with using the equipment you are most comfortable with. Just be sure the guy/gal who runs the "open mic" is good with it. They might not have the time or desire to swap mics, cables, etc. More than the equipment or anything else, just relax and have fun with it. Laugh at your mistakes and just enjoy the event.

I totally agree with using the equipment you are most comfortable with. Just be sure the guy/gal who runs the "open mic" is good with it.

Totally agree. More meant to say, going to go with 2 mics, vs 1 vocal mic and pickup for guitar. Planning to use all house equipment, will have plan b ready to go (my pickup).

I'd love to do open mics one day, but I'm just too inconsistent at this point. I do play my recordings for close family and friends, but I have yet to play live in front of anyone. That would be an enormous step for me. One day.

I wish you all the best and live vicariously through you [biggrin]

Lars

I'm 6 days away and have re-adjusted my open mic strategy (I was accused of overthinking before and shot that down... I guess I can be accused of that now).

Regardless,

I'm sitting anyways, it's only 2 songs, my song choice has changed so highlighting a lead style riff is not as important, and the mic'd sound is better than my 'pick up' sound. Evaluating all, seems like an open mic with limited songs is an optimal place for a mic'd set up.

That's my strategy right now and this coming open mic... but weighing the several other posts on mics etc, my dream set up is:

•  

I had better point out that while there are no rules as such, most people use the SM58 for vocal and the SM57 for instruments.

They are both the same mic with different attachments on the front for these applications.

BluesKing777.

Mr Hanners is right: when you take the stage own it. All eyes willl be on you......it's your opportunity to deliver! No apologies, no excuses, no prisoners.......you come, you see, you conquer.

I think you will find the sound hole pickup to be the best option for open mic circumstances. Part of being successful at such venues is to have efficient logistics.....step up, plug in and go. This impresses everyone involved.......the host doesn't have to rearrange the stage setup to accommodate an extra instrument mic/stand rig, the audience doesn't have time to get distracted and fidgety waiting for your setup and you don't have to manage the stress of getting everything just-so before launching into a tune. Simple is better, especially on your first venture on stage. After gathering a few notches in your headstock and a better feel for how these things go you can experiment a bit with your setup as your comfort level rises.

Good luck and go get 'em!! [cool]

That makes good sense, Buc. I thought you were going to comment on the Edwina- but 'also thought it might be raising some eyebrows if one was to bring one's own mics to an open mic. Bill- have you scoped out the situation at this o.m. a time or two?

As far as stage presence- I don't think Bill, from the J-45 V's NGD video ("J-45, in the house!"), to fearless playing amongst chickens, will have any problems in the confidence dept. Have fun, BR.

Alright, flip flop magoo is officially my new name, will update my profile when I figure out how. I was thinking the 2 mics was simplifying things, but if easiest path is the soundhole pickup, i'm game - thank you for the input.

As an FYI, I'm planning on using all the house stuff, i'm probably mixing conversations listing my dream set up.

With respect to 'own the stage', as someone mentioned I've been practicing, including my talking bits. I don't say much, but got a couple short quips, enough to hopefully cause a smile or at least cause a thought, then I get right into the songs.

Since I'm back to the pickup, I guess my only open question is 'sitting or standing'. Due to my plan to use a mic, I was going to sit, and pretty comfortable with that. But I do think standing might add a little dynamic, guess I got to go practice standing and see how that goes. My songs are pretty good sitting or standing. Unless they don't like hair metal?

I'm most comfortable sitting right now, I could be comfortable standing by the open Mic, any recommendations? I don't have any Pete Townsend antics or anything, I'm more Malcom Young, 2 steps forward, 2 steps back, nod my head almost continuously.

Rgds - billroy

I had better point out that while there are no rules as such, most people use the SM58 for vocal and the SM57 for instruments.

They are both the same mic with different attachments on the front for these applications.

BluesKing777.

Thanks BK, I get the numbers mixed up but do know which is which (the big one with the grill on the end is for singing, the one that looks like a torpedo is for the instruments). I also say giggiraff and hippomotopoos.

Regardless,

•  

Worry less about the gear and more about the performance. Not saying this to keep you from using a different setup than you originally were going to use. I just say this because a LOT of people will get more caught up in worrying about and second guessing the gear and go down a very distracting rabbit hole that consumes all their time wondering about what pickups, gear, preamps, etc., to use and end up spending way less time practicing the actual songs and working on the parts they are a little rusty on.

As far as the Tonedexter, I'd say no way, unless you already own one and have experience using it live. It's too complicated and you want something you can easily plug in and go with. I'd say for the first go at it, keep it super simple and stick to your original plan and focus more on the music.

Just felt I should add here that I concur with sbpark. I’ve seen way too many musicians end up focusing too much on all the tech and gear stuff too much when it’s really the music and how it’s performed that matters. All the rest is just part of the delivery system to best convey your music and performance, but at the core, it’s really your music and performance.

My beat to you and my best wishes to you for a good performance.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Ok all, it's go time.

Here's my equipment: J45, soundhole pickup, cigar box guitar, slide, picks, tuner, gum, t-shirt. (The wife surprised me with the 'br live' t-shirt this morning, was going to do the greased chest, but gotta wear this now ;). I got my set down (it's all about the performance), I've communicated and am in sync with the guy running the show, and got a few friendly folks (14 of them) coming for support.

ktW0uDo.jpg?1

Finger's crossed, let's go rock this joint! (and truly thanks to you all for the tips and feedback along the way).

Hey All - I got to say, success was achieved! Gave a performance that was well received by the crowd, did my three songs and was asked to do a fourth (per crowd demands). Most of all, I had a really good time! I made a few mistakes, the sound through the PA wasn't as good as at home, but none of that was a show stopper - just stayed in the flow, made sure it was visible I was having fun, tried to do what I could to engage the crowd... and the crowd came along for the ride.

It was actually a slow night for them, so I got to do a second set (2 songs)... ending with my crowd pleasing 'gotta take my pills'. A song anyone over 50, dealing with blood pressure, cholesterol, etc... relates to, and more than one head was nodding.

Bucket list item: 'play live' - check.

Gibson shout out - J45 was noticed, appreciated, heard at least twice 'wow, that's a nice guitar!'

Congratulations on your initial outing! Glad to hear that it went well! My next advice...keep yourself grounded and keep focusing on refining your presentation and performing skills. Too many musicians try to keep the high of performing artificially going. Performing is actually kind of an unnatural thing, to have everyone watching, listening, and adrenaline constantly flowing. Keep that in mind. Keep working on the basics and the music with your feet on the ground. Then future performances will continue to be musical growth experiences as well as fun! And, new audiences members will pick up on your music craft approach one by one (and, if they for some reason do not, it should not deter you for still continuing to work on your musical craft.). That’s been my approach and it’s worked for me all these years. Again, congrats on your initial outing! Glad our advice on the forum was helpful. Hope it continues to be.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Hey All - I got to say, success was achieved! Gave a performance that was well received by the crowd, did my three songs and was asked to do a fourth (per crowd demands). Most of all, I had a really good time! I made a few mistakes, the sound through the PA wasn't as good as at home, but none of that was a show stopper - just stayed in the flow, made sure it was visible I was having fun, tried to do what I could to engage the crowd... and the crowd came along for the ride.

It was actually a slow night for them, so I got to do a second set (2 songs)... ending with my crowd pleasing 'gotta take my pills'. A song anyone over 50, dealing with blood pressure, cholesterol, etc... relates to, and more than one head was nodding.

Bucket list item: 'play live' - check.

Gibson shout out - J45 was noticed, appreciated, heard at least twice 'wow, that's a nice guitar!'

Congratulations Billroy!

A very big move from the idea to the real thing! Will you be getting back on the horse or letting it run in the paddock for a while?

BluesKing777.

Interesting in that what we have going on here are not what I would call performances. There will be a bunch of folks up there and everybody who wants to play just rotates in and out. You get a couple of turns to kick something off. They will have three rooms going at the same time so you can move between them. The point though is to play together. Last time I wandered in I launched into Tommy Johnson's "Big Road Blues" and Leadbelly's "Bourgeois Blues" which are both just furious percussive strummers. The performances come in when you need a break from the crowds and wander into the hall or the basement where they will be some folks hanging out. There is where I will sit by my lonesome and get into something like Rev. Gary Davis' "Cincinnati Flow Rag" or the Airplanes "Embryonic Journey" (yes, I still play that one). Last time I did that I ended up being recorded although I do not have a clue what the purpose was.

Archived