Gibson Brands Forums

J-50 tuning machines

Paul14

Was wondering if anyone knows which tuners came originally on a 2001 J-50? Just noticed that the tuners were changed somewhere along the line. There are Grover Romatics on there now.

Also can they simply be changed out, or were there modifications made to accommodate the Grovers? Looks like they just used the bottom screw to attach the Grover’s.

Thanks in advance for any advice, you might have!

Was wondering if anyone knows which tuners came originally on a 2001 J-50? Just noticed that the tuners were changed somewhere along the line. There are Grover Romatics on there now.

Also can they simply be changed out, or were there modifications made to accommodate the Grovers? Looks like they just used the bottom screw to attach the Grover's.

Thanks in advance for any advice, you might have!

is the foot print the same? Grovers are good tuners..

The same as what? I think they were the same as the ones on my 2005 J45? The holes seem to match those, however there is no name on them.

the screw posistion is the foot print.. I believe th post as well as the Ring size should be the same.. .. hows a bout a Picture?

The only difference I would be concerned about is the grommet ring on the face of each post.. the Kluson style machine heads are pressed in.. where the grover is scewed in to the machine head from the top.. It might have been oversized .

I bet these are what came originally....

Kluson SD9005MNP Plastic Button Tuners, 3 Per Side, Gibson Style, Nickel/White

https://www.amazon.c...K2A9KT0C7D9W1AT

I would call StewMac. Ask them if you need a special bushing .... I dont think you will, but worth the call.

I think your right. I believe these are the originals.

I have sent an email to Gibson to verify. If this is the case, I will call stewmac. I hope the Grover’s were a a simple drop in replacement. If not I’ll probable leave them alone. I would like to return the guitar back to original, but i’m running on fumes financially. I can deal with the cost of new tuners, but not much more! (Fixed income, & all) those pesky bills, never stop coming!

Thank you.

Looking at yourJ-200 photo again, those tuners look like the "vintage" Gibsons that I got at Guitar Center 5 years ago for my 1974 J-50.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Vintage-Gold-Machine-Heads-with-Pearloid-Buttons.gc

The originals had solid nickel buttons, and I didn't realize that WD had nice replicas available of them at the time. The WD Klusons work really well and they're also less expensive :)

https://www.wdmusic.com/tuners_kluson.html

I think your right. I believe these are the originals.

I have sent an email to Gibson to verify. If this is the case, I will call stewmac. I hope the Grover's were a a simple drop in replacement. If not I'll probable leave them alone. I would like to return the guitar back to original, but i'm running on fumes financially. I can deal with the cost of new tuners, but not much more! (Fixed income, & all) those pesky bills, never stop coming!

Thank you.

where are you located? I have a set of the Gibson J50s proper ones with the white Buttons. and the collars as well.. Pm Me and let me know.

I just checked on the set of 6 I have.. they will work on yours.. and cover the post and holes properly..

where are you located? I have a set of the Gibson J50s proper ones with the white Buttons. and the collars as well.. Pm Me and let me know.

I just checked on the set of 6 I have.. they will work on yours.. and cover the post and holes properly..

Message sent. That’s awesome!

I have said it before and will say it again, Rotomatics just look so wrong on a J-45.

As the originals are MIA, I would just go with what pleases you aesthetically. For me that means open gear tuners such as the Sew Mac bent tab Klusons. The last guitar I changed tuners on (a mid-1960s Harmony Sovereign) I went with the Grover Sta-Tites. Just a good working and looking tuner.

I have said it before and will say it again, Rotomatics just look so wrong on a J-45.

As the originals are MIA, I would just go with what pleases you aesthetically. For me that means open gear tuners such as the Sew Mac bent tab Klusons. The last guitar I changed tuners on (a mid-1960s Harmony Sovereign) I went with the Grover Sta-Tites. Just a good working and looking tuner.

I put a set of those on my 98 00-15 . I like them too. It looks like I got the J-50 covered, thanks to Slimt.

Coming to this late, but I can tell you the following:

In 2001, I purchased a new '01 J-50. The original tuners were not three-on-a-plate Kluson-style machines. They were individual small-plastic-button Kluson-style machines. Of course, the visual appearance from the front was identical to three-on-a-plate Klusons.

The Grovers on the OP's guitar require larger holes, which means that adapter bushings will be necessary to convert back to the original Kluson-style tuners.

Sounds like Slim's got you covered, but if for some reason it doesn't work out, another drop-in option would be the Kluson Revolution line. These will match up to the original screw holes, and Revolution tuners are available in a threaded-collar version which matches up with the larger Grover post holes.

Coming to this late, but I can tell you the following:

In 2001, I purchased a new '01 J-50. The original tuners were not three-on-a-plate Kluson-style machines. They were individual small-plastic-button Kluson-style machines. Of course, the visual appearance from the front was identical to three-on-a-plate Klusons.

The Grovers on the OP's guitar require larger holes, which means that adapter bushings will be necessary to convert back to the original Kluson-style tuners.

Sounds like Slim's got you covered, but if for some reason it doesn't work out, another drop-in option would be the Kluson Revolution line. These will match up to the original screw holes, and Revolution tuners are available in a threaded-collar version which matches up with the larger Grover post holes.

Thanks for that! Appreciate your suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

That looks better.

Agree, couldn’t be happier! Simple swap. Took about 1/2 an hour. The tuners work great too. Just as smooth as the Grover’s, & look much better! There was a problem with one of the Grover’s. That’s how I noticed they weren’t original!

Archived