Gibson Brands Forums: ES-225TD Restoration - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ES-225TD Restoration

#1 User is offline   MrGobble 

• Group: All Access

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:27 AM

Hello good people. This is my first post and I'm really seeking some guidance on a restoration / refurb that I've been asked to do. See the photos for more detail but I have a 1956 ES-225TD with all original everything as far as I can tell. The owner believes that it has been refinished because he's only ever see blonde or sunburst versions. As far as I can tell it's had no such work done. Serial is V8034 17. Laminated maple body...top and back. The owner has asked for a full refinish and replacement hardware and I've just said hold off a minute until we verify whether it has actually been refinished. Thoughts from those in the know would be much appreciated.

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   ksdaddy 

• Mentally unstable but not stupid.
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 September 2018 - 06:04 AM

The finish looks like something Gibson would have done around 1970. I wonder if it had been sent back to the factory for a refinish about that time.

#3 User is offline   retrorod 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:53 AM

A couple comments and a question.
What KSdaddy suggested sounds plausible. The guitar would look better with period Gibson knobs and either blonde or sunburst refin.
Which of those two is the owner requesting?
The burst may only require refining the top??
"You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from."--Cormac McCarthy

"It requires wisdom to understand wisdom: the music is nothing if the audience is deaf.

-Walter Lippman

Just because I don't say it....does not mean, that I may not think it! - ME

#4 User is offline   MrGobble 

Posted 03 September 2018 - 02:33 PM

View Postretrorod, on 03 September 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

A couple comments and a question.
What KSdaddy suggested sounds plausible. The guitar would look better with period Gibson knobs and either blonde or sunburst refin.
Which of those two is the owner requesting?
The burst may only require refining the top??

The owner has requested a sunburst and I had suggested that we only do this if the finish is in deed not original. I live the lacquer checking and the back and neck look perfect for the guitar. If we push ahead I'll only do the top and sides to put it back to the original sunburst. He's also like the headstock redone as this was stripped as well, it's also walnut stained rather than black.

#5 User is offline   ksdaddy 

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:53 PM

This model would have only been sunburst on the top. The rest would be stained brown....like it already is..... so maybe only the top and headstock face is not original?

#6 User is offline   ksdaddy 

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:59 PM

I think it looks awesome as is, except for the Teisco type knobs. And someone will give you $20 for them on ebay. I bought a basket case 1959 ES-125T from someone here on the forum a few years back and it had been stripped and stained brown with no clearcoat. It was a sweet box, with the 1959 fatter frets. I should have just left it alone but I sold it.

#7 User is offline   MrGobble 

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:01 PM

I'll be getting started on this one in the next few weeks. Will do the refret first up, then tackle the headstock I think. Thanks again for the input.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users