Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-165

Skeet1

I have seen a couple of these on Ebay and Reverb but can find no information on the model (such as specs, comparisons, etc.). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

The current run of parlor guitars http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2019/Parlor-Rosewood-Avant-Garde-2019.aspx are the latest version of the 165 which is a small bodied version of the Jumbo J200.

Past runs had a few variations.

The one I have has a natural top, Rosewood back and sides and ebony fretboard and bridge.

Here it is next to an L00.

Very comfortable to play and a nice loud sound from a small body.

00423899-A2E4-4D8B-B0B6-C648705EDD22_zpshymrws9l.jpg

The one I have has a natural top, Rosewood back and sides and ebony fretboard and bridge....

Nice!

At some point, in the late 2000s I think, they replaced the ebony fretboard with rosewood. They kept the nice abalone rosette, though. Technically, it's a CJ-165. "Compact Jumbo." Not sure why they often drop the "C." It's certainly not a jumbo.

The Sweetwater site has some additional specs, though new ones are no longer available there.

I had a Maple one way back, about ten years ago. I loved it, great sounding and playing little guitar. Sadly mine suffered a partially collapsed top due to a wood defect, but upon returning it I was told the store couldn’t replace it due to Rosetti losing the distributorship of Gibson, so I took my refund and bought a Hummingbird elsewhere.

I often think of the little CJ165 though, a really sweet little thing.

I often think of the little CJ165 though, a really sweet little thing.

I really had the hots for one for quite a while. Really liked the ebony board on the older ones, and gotta have an abalone rosette! On the way to a CJ-165, I happened upon a 17" jumbo New Hartfort-built Guild F-50R - also with ebony board and abalone rosette. A real GAS killer!

f50r559.jpg

The current run of parlor guitars http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2019/Parlor-Rosewood-Avant-Garde-2019.aspx are the latest version of the 165 which is a small bodied version of the Jumbo J200.

Past runs had a few variations.

The one I have has a natural top, Rosewood back and sides and ebony fretboard and bridge.

Here it is next to an L00.

Very comfortable to play and a nice loud sound from a small body.

00423899-A2E4-4D8B-B0B6-C648705EDD22_zpshymrws9l.jpg

Lovely guitars! I just hope nobody decides to open that door [biggrin]

Lars

I have one with the ebony fret board. I can't add more than Dave has said already but I would say it is most like a Martin 00028. I have one of those too so have the opportunity to compare.

I use the CJ165 regularly both play and recording. I can't understand why Gibson don't make them anymore but if you can get one in good condition buy it.

PS Let me know if you get one.

Archived