Gibson Brands Forums

Please help wiring problems.

DoubleSixx

Hi every body.

Hopefull someone can help me. This will probably get long and I'll have to re-read several times to make sure I haven't left out any details.

OK first I'll post my problem. Followed by what I've changed and what I think maybe the cause. I hope this will work.

I have a 2006 Gibson Les Paul Studio.

On occasion I use Rhythm on the toggle switch as a kill switch by setting the neck pickup to zero.

Now for the problem, some times when flip up to Rhythm I still hear the bridge pickup, not as loud kinda almost like it was in the distance. Then I have to flip the switch several times to get it to be off. And as a double check I'll bring up the volume for the neck pickup which some times doesn't work unless I flip on and off again.

Now for the changes I made. I lowered my bridge as far down as it could go. I checked and the ground seems to still be attached. It's a exposed braided line. The guitar has a grounding plate on the inside.

I have also swapped out both pickups and all the potentiometers. The problem first occurred before I changed anything electrical. Keep the stock capacitors but soldered them directly to the tone potentiometers and ran a separate wire from each volumes and tones respectively. I've even cut the insulation off a piece of coax line and put it over the ground wire.

I think I've narrowed it down to two possibilities. My gut is saying it's the toggle switch, but a times wonder if it's the bridge potentiometer.

Has anyone expierenced anything similar ?

I appreciate any help, this is driving me nutz.

Thanx in advance.

al

If the problem was there before you switched everything out, why didn't you fix it before now, or when you were altering the guitar? If the problem was there from the start, it may have been covered by warranty, however it definitely won't be now that you have modified the guitar.

If you are still hearing the bridge pickup when the switch is set to the neck pickup position, then it should have nothing to do with the pots (provided they are still wired to function as they did originally). It sounds like the switch contacts have been damaged and are not disengaging fully when you change positions. It is very difficult to faultfind a guitar without having it in hand, but going by your description, that is what I would look at first. My best advice for you, is to actually take it to a shop with a good technician and have them look at it. If it is the switch, it may be repairable. Having a technician look at it might save you some money in the long run, and it doesn't hurt to have a second opinion from someone who can actually handle the guitar and see the problem first hand. If you are set on doing it yourself, there is nothing wrong with Gibson switches. The original brand of switch that Gibson used is Switchcraft, I believe. Good luck with it.

Raptor,

Thanx for the advice. I replace the switch yesterday and so far (knock on wood), the problem seems to be solved.

The reason I didn't do anything about the switch at first was at times my amp was low and it wasn't so obvious. A cheap work around was just flipping on and off before playing.

I was so happy to finaly own a Gibson Les Paul that I was able to ignore the problem.

Hopefully I won't jinx myself now. Thanx again.

al

Archived