Gibson Brands Forums

New to the pentonic scales

Jimbo55

Well, Jimbo...That's an interesting question! Music is a beautiful and complex tapestry that is filled with threads leading to all sorts of interesting ends. All the seperate aspects of music are (to my thinking) codependent. Chords, scales, and rhythms depend on each other for meaning much the same way as mind, body, and spirit do. Having said that, I think that the Major scale (Ionian mode) and the pentatonic "blues box" are most likely your best starting points. The Major scale is the basis of almost all of Western music. It is the key to understanding chords and melody. The Major scale and its modes (permutations) contain all of the basic major and minor sounds used in most types of music and is the information set used to create all types of chords. The "blues box" is very useful in that you can use one fingering to play both major and minor sounds and it has all the "bad" notes taken out which makes it easier to create melodies that make sense.

I feel I'm dragging on so, I hope this is at least somewhat helpful to you. Welcome to the beautiful and never ending puzzle that is Music!

Archived