Gibson Brands Forums

Fretboard Replacement

Vince Q

Does/will the Custom Shop replace the fretboard on my '56 VOS?

I had the fretboard on my '81 Deluxe replaced with ebony and I love it.

I want to replace the fretboard on my '56 with either ebony or African Blackwood, and I want the feel and playability to remain exactly as it is.

Besides, a black fretboard with the gold top is a beautiful combination.

Does/will the Custom Shop replace the fretboard on my '56 VOS?

I had the fretboard on my '81 Deluxe replaced with ebony and I love it.

I want to replace the fretboard on my '56 with either ebony or African Blackwood, and I want the feel and playability to remain exactly as it is.

Besides, a black fretboard with the gold top is a beautiful combination.

Give Gibson a call. I am betting your request can be fulfilled by them, but as I stated, it is best to inquire with them on the specifics.

Wow! $1,650 for Gibson to replace a fretboard. Prohibitively expensive.

Yeah, there is a lot of work that needs to be done to remove a fretboard from a neck let alone replacement with a new one. Unless that guitar is something you can't live without and you want it to play great, I would think of some alternatives. I think that someone would have to essentially try to steam off the fretboard from the neck construction and all that too, so it's a skilled task I wouldn't just want anyone doing to my guitar...

I recently had a fretboard replaced, a truss rod added and the neck carved down on a '82 Martin Custom HD28 Brazilian. $1400.

Jamonn Zeiler is very good. He's built a custom L00 for me and has built many guitars so I was not worried.

Turned out great.

He's in Indiana.

I agree with what has been said previously. It's a bit of work to remove and replace a fretboard. I took one off a J30 to reset the neck and there was a significant amount of finish touch up. The J30 only had dot inlays (one of which went up in smoke), and re-installed the same fretboard not a replacement. That said, Gibson would be a logical but not inexpensive choice given the inlays.

• 2 months later...

Archived