Gibson Brands Forums

Studio Series

rbpicker

Got the newest Music Villa email blast today featuring some of the new Studio series Gibsons. They had a 00L, a J45, a Hummingbird, and mentioned a J200, although they didn't demo that one. All natural finish, narrower body, made of walnut. I gotta say they all sounded great when Clint ran them through the paces. The price point is very attractive, the 00L going for $1499 on Musicians Friend website.

I may be in big trouble. Anyone else see the video today?

Rb

https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmailchi.mp%2Facousticletter%2Fthe-great-casetastrophe-case-blowout-sale-featured-hot-product-and-events-1129245%3Fe%3D7f4a088579&data=02%7C01%7C%7C3f157e3a268b44b9ab2108d6125e54cc%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636716593690144315&sdata=VggqH97fHRLwD9kkS4wQ2h7QokjMwnIpid%2FQ%2BOfQaVg%3D&reserved=0

No responses? Wow, looks like I did something bad.

Rb

You did nothing wrong. Periods of no responses on the forum isn’t that unusual. Just happens.

I, too, received the studio guitar email from Gibson. I am glad to see they are trying new things, especially with walnut, although I am not so sure it’s realky a new thing as my 1936 NY Epiphone Zenith has walnut sides and back and sounds great. Plus, I’m still hemming and hawing on purchasing a J-15 walnutburst guitar I played at San Ash. My hope is that in addition to the new studio models, Gibson plans on again offering its regular standard runs of guitars. And, not just the studio models. I would hope so. The email wasn’t exactly clear on that in these trying times of Gibson. It also wasn’t clear on whether the walnut J-15 will still be offered or whether it now is duplicated by the studio series. Anyone care to speculate...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

The J-15 has the same specs as a J-45.

The J-45 Studio is thinner.

The J-45 Studio seems to have the same neck as the current J-15 Cutaway from the description, but not the same neck as the regular J-15, wihich has the slim taper neck. At least from what I can tell.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Being interested in all things L-00, it would be nice to try a walnut model. I wonder what the difference would be soundwise between a standard mahogany L-00 and a studio in walnut? Thinner body would be good for live - cut the boom. ( I have an old Lowden stage edition with a thinner body they say is better for ...err...stage.)

So I went to the Gibson.com website for more details and....zip! No surprise lately.

Anyway, I'll have one! [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

It may be thinner but the only big difference I see is the neck material and radius. Isn't a J-45 traditionally a Sitka Spruce top with Hog back, sides and neck and a Rosewood fret board.

According to the site:

J-15 Neck 2 piece Maple - J-45 Studio Mahogany

J-15 and J-45 Studio back and sides Walnut and a Sitka Spruce top on both

J-15 12" radius - J-45 16" radius

J-15 and J-45 Studio both have a Walnut bridge and fret board.

The only other differences I've noticed are the shape of the bridge (belly-up vs rectangular) & headstock (tapered sides vs straight).

These do look very nice for the price point. However, I prefer the 12" radius fretboard, as well as the narrower neck profile - so it's a good thing I've already got a J-15!

Archived