Gibson Brands Forums

Pearl decal???

acme97

Hi there,

Did Gibson ever use decals instead of inlay on acoustics? To me this looks like decal on a 2000 J-185. Same thing for the crown.

I've strummed it, and it sure walks and talks like a Gibson, and the serial number checks out.

gib%20logo2.jpg

gib%20headstock.jpg

Did you try to peal it off. Looks like inlay to me.

Nope...but what I see a distinct line around both the logo and crown. Never seen anything like that, like it's an "inlay" decal. I could be totally wrong but if it's some kind of masking line or something that's a new one on me.

Don't want to try and peel anything because if there's issues it's going back.

Then what IS that? Any other Gibson I have with inlay doesn't have a uniform outline like that. In the original post, you can see it on the bottom left corner of the crown as well.

Isn't it the border between the MOP-block and the headstock-wood seen through the black coat of paint.

Isn't it the border between the MOP-block and the headstock-wood seen through the black coat of paint.

well I've looked closely at all my MOP inlay Gibsons...and again, I don't have a single other example of an outline like this. It is indeed under the finish, as pictured. Now, sometimes MOP inlay has that issue where inlay meets the wood, but I know what that looks like and this is not that. However, none of you are putting any red flags up and if anyone can spot a fake or knows of a variation I do not...I'm sure it would be on these boards.

Someone else can add more accurate detail here but the way those inlays work is there's a hole cut out of the holly headstock overlay that's slightly larger than the shape of the entire inlay. The inlay is then glued in with glue that's mixed with dark (ebony or holly) sawdust to fill the space. Once dry it's sanded down to reveal the inlay material. That can result in a halo effect around the inlay.

Possibly someone did a delam repair on the inlays and didn't level them out properly.

Delams were a frequent topic a few years ago. The finish can sometimes delaminate from the MOP because of the difference in heat/humidity expansion and contraction between the wood and MOP - it leaves a kind of halo effect. Can't remember whose guitar this was, but I saved the pics because it was a bad case -

FkUlta5.jpg. . gwszggL.jpg

Someone else can add more accurate detail here but the way those inlays work is there's a hole cut out of the holly headstock overlay that's slightly larger than the shape of the entire inlay. The inlay is then glued in with glue that's mixed with dark (ebony or holly) sawdust to fill the space. Once dry it's sanded down to reveal the inlay material. That can result in a halo effect around the inlay.

That’s about the best description of the process I’ve seen. Gibson did mention that they’ve done something, maybe with a laser cutting?, that makes the need for that fill to be much less nowadays.

Delams were a frequent topic a few years ago. The finish can sometimes delaminate from the MOP because of the difference in heat/humidity expansion and contraction between the wood and MOP - it leaves a kind of halo effect. Can't remember whose guitar this was, but I saved the pics because it was a bad case -

Ah yes, that was a fun topic… But it sounds like the OP is familiar with that issue that kind of makes the logo have a muddy edge to it . This sounds /looks like the black fill around the inlay.

Ah yes, that was a fun topic… But it sounds like the OP is familiar with that issue that kind of makes the logo have a muddy edge to it . This sounds /looks like the black fill around the inlay.

Yes, you are correct. I am familiar with delam, and this is not that.

No red flags though...as far as I gathered, the solid uniform line seen here has something to do with either the fill-in process around the pearloid, or similar process when they work on the headstock veneer. As stated, the rest of the guitar walks and talks Gibson. Feels and plays like one, with no further issues. It also passed inspection by a Gibson Authorized guy I know. SO...I now have my one example of this particular inlay in the guitar stable.

Thanks all!

Archived