Gibson Brands Forums

Maple AJ joy

Jinder

Hi all,

As I mentioned before, a couple of months ago I acquired a 2016 Custom Shop AJ from Wildwood in Colorado...I took out the stpick Element VTC pickup and fitted a Sunrise that Buc of this very forum kindly gifted to me, slung on a set of D’Addario EXP 13s and took it on the road with me for my ongoing UK tour.

The more time i spend with this guitar, the more I’m convinced that it’s the best guitar I’ve ever owned. Everything about it is just perfect. Strong, strident, BIG tone, amazing playability and fantastic dynamic range and response.

I’d been hunting for one for a long time, and am so glad I never gave up the pursuit. Hats off, Gibson!

I had a maple (Birdseye) AJ a few years ago. I have thought many times that I sold it too soon, not giving it sufficient time to warm up, open up, and really start to breathe. I do love a good maple guitar.

Glad you’re loving yours, Jinder. would also love to hear a sound clip when time/schedule permits.

Roger

Amen on maple guitars. For years I avoided maple because people familiar (supposedly) with it compared it’s bright tone to the brightness associated with Taylor guitars back then. Anyway, my Dove is most likely the most vocal guitar i’ve ever owned. Booming bass and very clear-toned mids and highs. And it resonates on and on. I imagine AJ bracing, size, etc. and maple tone wood is a lion that can be “gentle as a lamb” when needed.

I auditioned a maple AJ at Elderly's showroom (back when they were still a Gibson dealer...) and it was a wonderful instrument. I preferred it over the rosewood version they had at the same time....guess I probably favour the maple sound...?

One of my current "non-standard-spec" Gibsons is a Custom Shop SJ from 2007 -- it's built with maple back and sides, and again, it's just a great guitar!!

Love to hear some clips of you playing your new squeeze!

Fred

Thanks all!

I’ve never played a “new” (well, 18mths old but unplayed) guitar that sounds so open, woody, dynamic and loose. If I was handed it blindfolded, I’d guess at it being from the early ‘90s. It has the same played-in feel as my 1990 Hummingbird.

I’ve been a Maple fan forever, I’ve owned Mahogany guitars too but have always gravitated towards things like SJ200s, CJ165s, my J180 and so forth...having played a Maple AJ some time ago and fallen in love with it, I’ve always regarded them as something of a “grail” acoustic for me. Fits like a glove and does everything dynamically that my right hand asks.

I’ll definitely get a sound clip and/or video up soon...it’s been a crazy summer with all seven kids off school and milling about, so my creative pursuits haven’t extended much beyond gigging. They’re all back at school now though, so the game is afoot!

Late getting in here. Enjoy, Jinder. On vacation from the forum Juan and myself have been heralding Gibson maple models 'round here for years. The only Bird I've been happy with to the point of keeping is a quilt. Glad you found a maple AJ that pleases your ears.

Late getting in here. Enjoy, Jinder. On vacation from the forum Juan and myself have been heralding Gibson maple models 'round here for years. The only Bird I've been happy with to the point of keeping is a quilt. Glad you found a maple AJ that pleases your ears.

Thanks Hall! I really do believe that nobody does maple guitars quite like Gibson. I’ve never owned a maple Gibson I haven’t at least enjoyed, and several I’ve absolutely loved. I had the pleasure of playing Frank Turner’s quilt Bird last summer and didn’t want to hand it back! I definitely foresee one of those in my future at some point.

while running from Florence the Hurricane Saw a J45 standard on craigslist. went to the guy's house and played it then bought it. while there I played his J185EC quilted maple and was blown away with the bright crisp clear tone.the first maple I have ever played. very pleasing to the eye and it also plays like a dream.when i got back home (I live in a different state) I called him up and told him I wanted it too. It's being shipped tomorrow. can't wait!

while running from Florence the Hurricane Saw a J45 standard on craigslist. went to the guy's house and played it then bought it. while there I played his J185EC quilted maple and was blown away with the bright crisp clear tone.the first maple I have ever played. very pleasing to the eye and it also plays like a dream.when i got back home (I live in a different state) I called him up and told him I wanted it too. It's being shipped tomorrow. can't wait!

Congrats X2. Yep - Maple is a different animal. At the very least - a nice break from the more common tone woods. But some would say - the others are a nice distraction from maple. I love mine.

Hope you're home was in good shape. Still a block away from the beach?

Congrats X2. Yep - Maple is a different animal. At the very least - a nice break from the more common tone woods. But some would say - the others are a nice distraction from maple. I love mine.

Hope you're home was in good shape. Still a block away from the beach?

Got real lucky with Florence no damage or flooding the Atlantic is still a block away

Archived