Gibson Brands Forums

ES-235 at SweetWater

gampadoug

Sweetwater (is it a forum fou paoux to mention dealers?) has the 2019 priced @ $1799 and claims the MSRP is $2539.

https://www.sweetwat...loss-2019-ebony

But the Gibson catalog for 2019 indicates the MSRP is $1799.

Am I missing something? I mean, besides the obvious. [tongue]

Yes, I think maybe you are. The price on the Gibson site is their direct buy price, they do not show the actual list price there.

Sweetwater (is it a forum fou paoux to mention dealers?) has the 2019 priced @ $1799 and claims the MSRP is $2539.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ES235GEBNH--gibson-memphis-es-235-gloss-2019-ebony

But the Gibson catalog for 2019 indicates the MSRP is $1799.

Am I missing something? I mean, besides the obvious. [tongue]

Yes, there are a lot of smoke and mirrors. $2539 can be called "suggested retail price" or "full retail price" and those prices should always be ignored. The prices on the Gibson site are "street prices" or a true "regular price" and are a realistic gauge. And you should virtually always be able to pay less than that price from a dealer.

So in this case, $1799 is the "regular" price. Any "sale price" would have to be less than that.

Yes, there are a lot of smoke and mirrors. $2539 can be called "suggested retail price" or "full retail price" and those prices should always be ignored. The prices on the Gibson site are "street prices" or a true "regular price" and are a realistic gauge. And you should virtually always be able to pay less than that price from a dealer.

So in this case, $1799 is the "regular" price. Any "sale price" would have to be less than that.

You should be able to negotiate 15-20% off the $1799.00 MAP or Street Price any day of the week..

Just an FYI.. You might want to take a look at the new ES335 Studio.. Much nicer than previous models of Studios. For $200 more.. Before haggling..

Check it out..

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ESSDVBNH--gibson-memphis-es-335-studio-2019-vintage-burst

I agree the Studio is worth checking out. It may be "nicer" than pre-2016 versions, but I don't think it is any nicer than the previous 2016 model. I don't believe there is any difference other than color (of body and bindings) from one to the other. Gibson website has them at the same price. I actually prefer the more distinctive look of the 2016s. The 2019s have a more traditional look.

That all said, I have a 2016 Studio and it is surprisingly good. I expected it to have an look, feel, and sound inferior to other 335s being the budget model. But it holds its own and does not have any cheap aspect to it. It has the quality exemplified by recent Memphis ES models. And it sounds and plays accordingly.

You should be able to negotiate 15-20% off the $1799.00 MAP or Street Price any day of the week..

Right. Just ask a Sweetwater guy what discount he can give you. They're a great place to do business with, in more ways than one.

Just an FYI.. You might want to take a look at the new ES335 Studio.. Much nicer than previous models of Studios. For $200 more.. Before haggling..

Check it out..

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ESSDVBNH--gibson-memphis-es-335-studio-2019-vintage-burst

That is a SERIOUSLY good look'n Gibby, Larsongs!

Already have a 2009 faded cherry 335 and an Ebony 137 (2012).

The 137 is a bit of a stretch for my arm since the rotator cuff surgery and I was thinking the 235 looks to be about the same body thickness as the 335 (1.75").

Of course, if it sounds like a 335, then there is no value in obtaining one.

- gampadoug

That is a SERIOUSLY good look'n Gibby, Larsongs!

Already have a 2009 faded cherry 335 and an Ebony 137 (2012).

The 137 is a bit of a stretch for my arm since the rotator cuff surgery and I was thinking the 235 looks to be about the same body thickness as the 335 (1.75").

Of course, if it sounds like a 335, then there is no value in obtaining one.

- gampadoug

Sorry to hear about the Rotator Cuff. Blew mine out years ago but chose not to have Surgery. I did years of PT & it helped quite a bit. I just have to be conscious of it & not over do it.. Hope yours gets better.

I wonder how the 235 compares in size to an ES Les Paul? I bought a Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul with Bigsby a couple years ago with MHS Pickups & is a very comfortable Guitar to play. The MHS Pickups sound great & it weighs a little over 6 lbs. So easy on my shoulder...

Good luck in your quest...

Archived