Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Montana Sustainable 2019 Acoustic Guitars

Rabs

[thumbup] [thumbup] Great idea and nice J-45.

I wish they'd start finding a real wood substitute instead of Richlite though.

I'm with you bbp on the real wood sub for Richlite. I can't bring myself to warm up to the 'innovation'.

I tried out a j45 with the satin finish.. Great sounding.. But it felt cold.. also the edges felt very sharp.. meaning the binding.. and hopefully they are going in the right direction..

Edited by slimt

I'm curious to play them when GC and Sam Ash get them in store. As of now, both only show them available to ship and not available in store here. The only other authorized dealer in Houston is no longer carrying any Gibsons in store. They are a small mom/pop shop, and Gibson said they will only provide them guitars if they 1) renew their agreement with Gibson, 2) order a full 12 months worth and 3) they have to pay for all the guitars in full upfront. Yikes! I can't say I blame the shop for making the call to stop ordering.

I know the bankruptcy is going to bring about change, but this move doesn't seem like it's a move in the right direction. Instead it seems like they're moving further in the wrong direction for small dealers.

I know the bankruptcy is going to bring about change, but this move doesn't seem like it's a move in the right direction. Instead it seems like they're moving further in the wrong direction for small dealers.

I previously heard the same thing from another small shop (6 years ago?) - and they quit carrying Gibsons. Might not be strictly as a result of the bankruptcy.

• 2 years later...
On 9/6/2018 at 12:16 PM, Rabs said:

I know its probably blasphemy around here but I really think Gibson should stop using Nitro full stop... Its nasty horrible stuff....

As a custom furniture maker ,I have sprayed a lot of this stuff. I agree to stop the use but it gives such a great look. Bee's wax finish is appealing both in appearance and smell. I hope to get one soon. 

On 11/13/2018 at 6:13 PM, thegreatgumbino said:

I'm curious to play them when GC and Sam Ash get them in store. As of now, both only show them available to ship and not available in store here. The only other authorized dealer in Houston is no longer carrying any Gibsons in store. They are a small mom/pop shop, and Gibson said they will only provide them guitars if they 1) renew their agreement with Gibson, 2) order a full 12 months worth and 3) they have to pay for all the guitars in full upfront. Yikes! I can't say I blame the shop for making the call to stop ordering.

I just called Albq. GC. They have 3 , 2 with cracks in top, 1 nitro finish bird in good shape. They said not many people buying high end guitars. most understanable 

On 11/12/2018 at 7:59 AM, badbluesplayer said:

[thumbup] [thumbup] Great idea and nice J-45.

I wish they'd start finding a real wood substitute instead of Richlite though.

I have read about ritchlite. I did not know what it was. They even make counter tops from it. As a furniture maker I am empressed. 

3 hours ago, Tascosa said:

As a custom furniture maker ,I have sprayed a lot of this stuff. I agree to stop the use but it gives such a great look. Bee's wax finish is appealing both in appearance and smell. I hope to get one soon. 

Yes I also as well as making guitars worked at a wood shop for a couple of years... We did custom made tables and stuff..

While I use Tru Oil for a lot of my guitar builds we were using Osmo oil for work projects...  Really like that sort of finish much better than any lacquer.

6 hours ago, Tascosa said:

I have read about ritchlite. I did not know what it was. They even make counter tops from it. As a furniture maker I am empressed. 

You should check this stuff out

Rocklite - Environmentally friendly tonewoods & hardwoods | eco friendly ebony

ROCKLITE® SUNDARI
ROCKLITE® SUNDARI is a manmade product which beautifully replicates the appearance of Indian Rosewood (Dalbergia latifolia) and is made from fast growing sustainable hardwood.
The fingerboards and other components have the appearance of being perfectly quarter sawn, however to achieve this look the products are actually manufactured rift sawn. This means that if a fingerboard has a heavy radius, then it will appear to be slightly slab sawn on one edge making it look even more authentic.
Despite being a manmade product every piece of ROCKLITE® SUNDARI has its own unique appearance and personality and has greater stability than true Indian Rosewood!

Rocklite® Ebano is an ebony type product that can be used very successfully in lutherie as fingerboards, head veneers, bindings and bridges

other applications for the Rocklite® product include cue buts and splices, sawcut veneer for restoration, and many other craft applications.

All of this without the headache of all the usual grading problems!

On average, less than 10% of the ebony logging yield would be considered good enough for high class lutherie, cue building and cabinet making.

This is mostly due to colour defect, splits shakes and pin worm etc.

now,with ROCKLITE® EBANO we are able to ensure that every piece is, jet black, arrow straight grained, and sawn dead on quarter!
In short, as good as the most perfect ebony you have ever seen! Every time

Are these used only for fingerboards (in the case of the ebony substitute) and for accoutrements like pickguards, headstock veneers, truss rod covers for the rosewood substitute?  Or could you make an entire guitar body from these? 

Then the two big questions 1) What is the relative costs to the traditional woods?  2) If you make an entire body from one, what does it sound like?

Granted for an electric guitar the tone and sound is mainly a function of the pickups and amplifier and if you use a lot of effects the wood might not matter at all.  But for acoustic guitars I think there is quite distinguishable differences in the way they sound mahogany vs. rosewood etc.

22 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Are these used only for fingerboards (in the case of the ebony substitute) and for accoutrements like pickguards, headstock veneers, truss rod covers for the rosewood substitute?  Or could you make an entire guitar body from these? 

Then the two big questions 1) What is the relative costs to the traditional woods?  2) If you make an entire body from one, what does it sound like?

Granted for an electric guitar the tone and sound is mainly a function of the pickups and amplifier and if you use a lot of effects the wood might not matter at all.  But for acoustic guitars I think there is quite distinguishable differences in the way they sound mahogany vs. rosewood etc.

Just now, Tascosa said:

My father and I were custon cabinet and furniture makers . In his retirement he made violins[ fiddles[. He used several exotic woods we had on hand, Paduke,Bubinga, Morado, Lace wood etc. One was made from reclaimed straight grain Fir from water tank on the Trans continental railroad.  All sounded different, some were duds while others were sweet. So using different woods work as well sometimes as the old standards. Sound is personal to each of us.