Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Montana Sustainable 2019 Acoustic Guitars

Rabs

According to the CME website, the sustainable models are quite a bit more $$$ than the Studio series models. Yet the Studio models are full gloss lacquer. I know lacquer is not cool on the environment, but there is more labor involved in applying and polishing, isn’t there? Both lines are walnut and Sitka, so it’s not the wood cost.

I don’t get the rationale... but..

Rb

According to the CME website, the sustainable models are quite a bit more $$$ than the Studio series models. Yet the Studio models are full gloss lacquer. I know lacquer is not cool on the environment, but there is more labor involved in applying and polishing, isn’t there? Both lines are walnut and Sitka, so it’s not the wood cost.

I don’t get the rationale... but..

Rb

I definitely love both of these lines .

If I could have my pick I’d get a Hummingbird Studio + L 00 sustainable.

Glad gibson isn’t just doing another year with the same old guitars.

It’s actually good to talk about something “new” at Gibson

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar

I’ll have the L-00!

(I guess Bird lovers will have to drawn their own pics on the guard?) [mellow]

Like this one?

https://www.normansrareguitars.com/product/gibson-h-bird-black-refin/

Sustainable? Not sure about Richlite - how many trees do they burn to make it? Etc. A friend and I were watching a sustainable house built on the TV and he said the most sustainable house is buying a used one.... same with guitars?

So ditch the Richlite and give me some cherry or something....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I’ll have the L-00!

(I guess Bird lovers will have to drawn their own pics on the guard?) [mellow]

Like this one?

https://www.normansr...rd-black-refin/

Sustainable? Not sure about Richlite - how many trees do they burn to make it? Etc. A friend and I were watching a sustainable house built on the TV and he said the most sustainable house is buying a used one.... same with guitars?

So ditch the Richlite and give me some cherry or something....

BluesKing777.

Like maybe a Pigeon.. :)

I love the concept here-I’m all for anything ecologically friendly. He lost me at “the beeswax can be reapplied as needed”, though.

Under hot stagelights or during a sweaty band gig (or even in the back garden on a sunny day!) I can think of anything less tactile than a wax finished guitar.

I also think it’s a bit fallacious to call a guitar a Hummingbird when it’s been divested of the Hummingbird itself, the split parallelogram inlays and so forth which (to my mind, YMMV) define it as a Hummingbird.

However I believe that Gibson are on the right heading with this concept-sustainability is so important. These guitars just aren’t quite to my taste.

I owned a Martin 00DB Tweedy for a bit which is built to a similar concept, 100% sustainable and FSC certified. That was a GREAT guitar and totally road ready...as these would be, with a different finish.

• Upvote 1

I know its probably blasphemy around here but I really think Gibson should stop using Nitro full stop... Its nasty horrible stuff....

I couldn't agree more! I'm not sure that the polys and varnishes, of today, are much better.

While we're at it ban granite countertops. Have you seen what they are doing to the mountains of North and South Carolina (and countless other places) to get granite? If you think it's hard to grow a rosewood or mahogany tree, try re-growing a mountain!

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more! I'm not sure that the polys and varnishes, of today, are much better.

While we're at it ban granite countertops. Have you seen what they are doing to the mountains of North and South Carolina (and countless other places) to get granite? If you think it's hard to grow a rosewood or mahogany tree, try re-growing a mountain!

I would go for a nice wet sanded oil finish... You can get a really nice look with that technique.... Nitro though, such a finiky finish in the first place.. I understand people like the aging thing but that doesn't make it a good finish... I also understand that its a Gibson thing to have Nitro and traditional but I think its one they should break with now we know better.

I would go for a nice wet sanded oil finish... You can get a really nice look with that technique.... Nitro though, such a finiky finish in the first place.. I understand people like the aging thing but that doesn't make it a good finish... I also understand that its a Gibson thing to have Nitro and traditional but I think its one they should break with now we know better.

What’s wrong with it ?

What’s wrong with it ?

I think we are saying "good for the environment". The sustainability thing is about friendly things for the planet.

As far as a finishing product; it is easy to touch up, relatively easy to apply, looks and polishes nice, provides some level of protection for the instrument and it's traditional. However, if you were to buy a can, remove the lid and set it on your bed stand for a month....

I think we are saying "good for the environment". The sustainability thing is about friendly things for the planet.

As far as a finishing product; it is easy to touch up, relatively easy to apply, looks and polishes nice, provides some level of protection for the instrument and it's traditional. However, if you were to buy a can, remove the lid and set it on your bed stand for a month....

Yes that's part of it, the environmental thing.. But also its not particularly nice to work with, toxic as it comes.. And while it make look nice to us guitar nerds, it doesn't actually age particularly well and is not the most durable..

Not only that... Nitro Burns very fast.. with bees wax about 5 seconds slower on Dry wood... :D they might as well hollow out a 2x4 and put a string on it. :)

• 2 months later...

Anyone gotten their hands on one of these, yet? I’m intrigued. The studio models look very nice as well. I don’t find anywhere that mentions the depth of the body other than it being “slimmer”. I’d be curious to know how much thinner they really are. Can’t wait to start seeing more videos of them on YouTube. IMO, the Music Villa videos don’t showcase the sound very well. Watching Paul and Quinton’s back and forth is painful. It’s like watching two middle school aged kids who like each other have an awkward conversation.

• Like 1

This musicians friend demo of the J45 sustainable is pretty good. It sounds nice. I’m digging the look of these a lot. Excited to hear more of the Hummingbird. Am I confused about the body depth on these, or are they the same as the standard models?

The CME demos the OP linked to are nice as well.

Edited by thegreatgumbino