Gibson Brands Forums

2017 Gibson LP Classic

bemb

It seems to be very hard to find out just what Gibson has done with there guitars, I just bought a non used 2017 Classic, I checked the serial number before buying and it is a Gibson 2017, when I got it I pulled the control cover and it has a Gibson plug in style circuit board, is this correct for this model year? The back of the neck has a stamped serial number 170017557 with a made in the USA under it but no year stamp is that correct? I know that a locking tailpiece has been installed, Gotoh locking tuners have been installed and bridge has been replaced with a schaller roller bridge. It is a Fireburst Front with a black back, is that correct? It all looks good but I cannot find anything showing this color on a classic I just cannot figure it out, I need to pull the pickups to see what they are they listed it as 490r and 498t, the circuit board seems to have some extremely small what appears to be orange drop capacitors and the board is stamped gibson. I am going to install some regular .022 orange drops on the board. I just sold my 2018 Classic which was an entirely different animal, Is this the way Gibson is operating with all these different items to a classic, my 2018 Classic was all soldered why would a 2017 Classic be plug in? Thanks for any help!

TwMhhNBm.jpg

GpAx9c2m.jpg

V5MPD0Wm.jpg

How do you mean non used? Given your serial number is correct, you bought a preowned (!) 2011 (!) Gibson Les Paul of sorts that has been meddled with at least in terms of the Schaller bridge. The finish is tobacco sunburst. The Grover keystone locking tuners with metallic buttons and the PCB internals all seem original—those specs are in line with the year of manufacture. As for the locking tailpiece, not so much.

How do you mean non used? Given your serial number is correct, you bought a preowned (!) 2011 (!) Gibson Les Paul of sorts that has been meddled with at least in terms of the Schaller bridge. The finish is tobacco sunburst. The Grover keystone locking tuners with metallic buttons and the PCB internals all seem original—those specs are in line with the year of manufacture. As for the locking tailpiece, not so much.

If you read the serial number correctly it is a 2017 not 2011, if you go to guitar dater there are 2 years listed but the serial number does read out as a 2011, and it is not tobacco sunburst, but thats ok thanks!

Usually Classics come with uncovered pickups too??? Seems to have been modded quite a bit...

The best thing to do is send pictures and the serial number to Gibson Customer service.. They should be able to tell you exactly what it is.

If you read the serial number correctly it is a 2017 not 2011, if you go to guitar dater there are 2 years listed but the serial number does read out as a 2011, and it is not tobacco sunburst, but thats ok thanks!

What makes you so sure it's a 2017? The Les Paul Classic 2017 line-up had no such finish option as your model does, and the specs were completely different as well. It's pretty much a 2011 Les Paul, but of course Gibson can tell you for sure. And if it's not a tobacco sunburst, it's a vintage sunburst—who cares.

What makes you so sure it's a 2017? The Les Paul Classic 2017 line-up had no such finish option as your model does, and the specs were completely different as well. It's pretty much a 2011 Les Paul, but of course Gibson can tell you for sure. And if it's not a tobacco sunburst, it's a vintage sunburst—who cares.

Serial numbers 2014 to present.

Gibson's most simplest system was introduced in 2014. A nine-digit serial number stamped. The first two digits indicate the year, the rest is a serial number for all guitars produced that year.

Serial numbers 2014 to present.

Gibson's most simplest system was introduced in 2014. A nine-digit serial number stamped. The first two digits indicate the year, the rest is a serial number for all guitars produced that year.

Adorable... You do know that Gibsons prior to 2014 also had a nine-digit s/n, right?

picard-facepalm.jpg

There was a limited run of 2017 Les Paul Classics in the fire burst finish made for Sam Ash stores here in the states. The pickups were uncovered so Bemb, that is another modification to your guitar. I toyed with buying one when they cleared them out at $1599.

There was a limited run of 2017 Les Paul Classics in the fire burst finish made for Sam Ash stores here in the states. The pickups were uncovered so Bemb, that is another modification to your guitar. I toyed with buying one when they cleared them out at $1599.

Thanks appreciate your help, the year was never in doubt, I new it was a 2017 or would have never bought it, I also researched the 490 and 498 pickups which are offered by musicians friend covered in nickle, chrome, gold or uncovered in black or zebra. I have owned many LP's since 1971 all models but the color fireburst really caught my eye and there isnt a mark on it so I bought it to go along with my other LP's. Thanks for your help!

Thanks appreciate your help, the year was never in doubt, I new it was a 2017 or would have never bought it, I also researched the 490 and 498 pickups which are offered by musicians friend covered in nickle, chrome, gold or uncovered in black or zebra. I have owned many LP's since 1971 all models but the color fireburst really caught my eye and there isnt a mark on it so I bought it to go along with my other LP's. Thanks for your help!

That is a beautiful guitar. I think it looks better with the covered pickups. Excellent find!

That is a beautiful guitar. I think it looks better with the covered pickups. Excellent find!

Thank you, I have made all the adjustments and set the schaller roller bridge, I have one of these on my 2017 LP Custom that I bought new in 2017 and put one on that guitar and I have to say this is probably the best roller bridge out there, 3 way adjustment, perfect intonation, string height and string placement on the neck and pickup, I still am not sure on the pickups if they are factory or not, I just sold my 2018 Pelham Blue Classic but it had p90,s however I had a 2014 Wine red Classic and it had uncovered pickups so I will see if someone has soldered these on or if they came that way, I contacted the owner that I bought it from and I believe he bought it from guitar center which sells the 490 & 498 covered in chrome nickel gold or bare in black or zebra so I will see, anyhow thanks for the comment!

Archived