Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone wanna buy a kidney?

rbpicker

holy smokes, I just visited my local gas emporium and played a new J45 Vintage. This is the one with the torrified adi top. It is the best sounding new guitar I have ever played.

The price is out of reach right now (I keep repeating that line to myself), but otherwise it would be acclimating to my living room right now. The only troublesome part is the rough finish. It is orange peeled, but not consistent across all of the guitar. I have a buddy who bought one and had the finish sanded and smoothed out a bit. I get the vintage finish appeal, and like it very much, but this looks like a bad Earl Sheib paint job. Anyone seen one of these that has a rough finish?

They also had a cool 1947 reissue J50, limited run. It had a Sitka top, with a vintage finish that was done to perfection. It sounded great as well, and about a grand less money.

i got me a case of the vapors.

Rb

Thread title of the month, right there.

P.s. not sure what went wacky with the sub-title above. Can’t edit it.

As the OP, can you find a "use full editor" blue button?

A photo of the finish on the kidney guitar would be good to see.

Whoa! So Gibson will paint any guitar for $19.95.

Yeah. I think I've bought a few of the test pattern guitars online before. Isn't that how the Lizardburst came to be?

Scriv58, tell me more. Are you not pleased with the guitar after a period of ownership? I’ve certainly experienced the concept of some letdown once the newness wears off. I’d really be interested in your impressions at this point in your journey with the guitar.

Rb

Scriv58, tell me more. Are you not pleased with the guitar after a period of ownership?

Well, he could just be saying that the price of the guitar is considerably less than the $5,000-10,000 going price of a kidney (in anonymous foreign country). msp_blink.gif

I just looked up the price on the gibson website- wow several hundred dollars more than i paid two years ago. It is a fine enough guitar, lightweight, very clean construction, decent enough tone and playability for most players. But there is nothing vintage about it, save for the marketing dept. misnomer. Unlike the j45 legend patterned directly after eldon whitford's old guitar, or the 1942 j45 patterned after a guitar in john thomas' collection, it is really just another j45, not patterned upon a specific guitar and i feel confident that one could find a j45 standard equal to this model.

For the current price, it is easy enough to find the real deal in vintage, a 40s or 50s model. However, if one has the coin, and this one floats your musical boat, i would not attempt to discourage your acquisition.

I played it very frequently for a year and a half, but since last december it has been sitting in its case. i got it out today and have played it for 3 hours or so, and am reminded it sounds very nice, just overpriced. I prefer my 72 year old and 61 year old gibsons to this one, but hey, so would most players.

post script- this was a mail order purchase, and had i auditioned it first, i most likely would have not bought'n it.

I have a Vintage myself from the first run and it has assumed the No.1 spot with me. But, it cost me no where near the asking price of the 17,18 or now the 19s, as in wow when I look at the suggested retail. edit: still, sure is a great sounding J-45.[biggrin]

holy smokes, I just visited my local gas emporium and played a new J45 Vintage. This is the one with the torrified adi top. It is the best sounding new guitar I have ever played.

The price is out of reach right now (I keep repeating that line to myself), but otherwise it would be acclimating to my living room right now. The only troublesome part is the rough finish. It is orange peeled, but not consistent across all of the guitar. I have a buddy who bought one and had the finish sanded and smoothed out a bit. I get the vintage finish appeal, and like it very much, but this looks like a bad Earl Sheib paint job. Anyone seen one of these that has a rough finish?

They also had a cool 1947 reissue J50, limited run. It had a Sitka top, with a vintage finish that was done to perfection. It sounded great as well, and about a grand less money.

i got me a case of the vapors.

Rb

I have a '16 J-45 Vintage. Haven't noticed anything rough about the finish. It's my favorite guitar.

Archived