Gibson Brands Forums

Removed UST from J45

rbpicker

not really enjoying the plugged in sound of USTs, today I removed the Baggs pickup from my J45 standard. I took it out very carefully so that it can easily be replaced should I ever want to do that. I superglued a wood shim to the bottom of the bone saddle to compensate for the thickness of the element that I took out. I will make a new saddle one of these days, but for now the glued shim works great. I used ebony which is a bit more dense than rosewood, so it’s probably not ideal.

Not sure if there is improvement in sound, but over the coming days/weeks, I will likely gain a sense of that. Theoretically, there should be a bit of an improvement, but I’m not sure. One thing for sure, it made the guitar lighter. It now weighs in at 3 lbs 13 oz. I really enjoy a light guitar and think the responsiveness is better (may be my imagination, however.)

The biggest reason I removed it was the sound factor. I will install a K&K once I’ve decided if it’s all worth doing. Love the K&K sound and they work great for the limited amount that I plug in.

Anyway, just rambling here....

Rb

I would be grateful to hear the result of your sonic after-check.

Been thinking a lot about this - it is after all a pretty significant device to slip down in that slot.

Especially when considering how sensitive we are about various bigger/smaller details like this.

Never heard mine without it, but the Fishman in my Mart. D-35 didn't seem to make much change when it was installed.

At the other hand I wasn't as aware when that happened as now.

Removed the thing in the Epiphone Insp. by Texan as well. That was not so long ago - again not the difference one could expect.

if your plugged in time is limited- "dont worry be happy"- just fergit about the ust, for me I removed the battery on my latest gibson and never gave it another thought.I wish that Gibson would drop them (pu s) as stock and offer them as an option as these are ACOUSTIC guitars first and foremost (to me) and the extra crap is just crap that adds weight and BATTERIES! batteries on an acoustic to me is NUTS ! same with crap under the saddle ! and the heavy endpin! crap ! enjoy your guitar whatever you decide ...cause yours is the opinion that matters !.. Jim

I had a K&K put in my J-50, and during the install the luthier removed the UST and battery. Can't say I can really hear a difference in unplugged tone, but on occasions when I plug in the amplified sound is much better.

not really enjoying the plugged in sound of USTs, today I removed the Baggs pickup from my J45 standard. I took it out very carefully so that it can easily be replaced should I ever want to do that. I superglued a wood shim to the bottom of the bone saddle to compensate for the thickness of the element that I took out. I will make a new saddle one of these days, but for now the glued shim works great. I used ebony which is a bit more dense than rosewood, so it's probably not ideal.

Not sure if there is improvement in sound, but over the coming days/weeks, I will likely gain a sense of that. Theoretically, there should be a bit of an improvement, but I'm not sure. One thing for sure, it made the guitar lighter. It now weighs in at 3 lbs 13 oz. I really enjoy a light guitar and think the responsiveness is better (may be my imagination, however.)

The biggest reason I removed it was the sound factor. I will install a K&K once I've decided if it's all worth doing. Love the K&K sound and they work great for the limited amount that I plug in.

Anyway, just rambling here....

Rb

This is exactly what I do too.

I pulled the ribbon transducer out from under the saddle and carefully wire tied it to the existing wiring inside the guitar. It is out of site but would be easy to reinstall if I ever decided to do that. At first I had some rosewood shims from another project and I used those until I got a bone saddle replacement. I did this on two J45's and the main thing I noticed was an increase in volume. That was there but my old blown out ears didn't notice a drastic change in tone. Glad I did it anyway, no batteries to leak now.

I just signed on to report on the status of my J45 and saw your post, J185cat. I’ve been playing it off and on all day and there is a big difference in volume.

There is also a notable increase in clarity. Before, it seemed that the sound was a bit muted, almost like there was a blanket over the sound. Now, the sound just jumps out of the guitar. The tone seems richer as well, using both the old nickel bronze strings and a new set of a John Pearce PB lights.

The sum total is a much more robust sound and more enjoyable playing experience. I’m sold on the benefits of this minor surgery. Now for a K&K when I get some time.

Rb

Most of the Gibsons I’ve owned sound very similar with or without a UST installed.

Having said that, my Maple AJ sounds SO MUCH BETTER with no UST. The Baggs Element VTC sounded rubbish in it and I was glad to be rid of that pickup...it has a Sunrise now (courtesy of Buc of this very forum) and sounds wonderful whether plugged or unplugged.

. . . Maple AJ sounds SO MUCH BETTER with no UST.

What would you say that the ribbon part of the UST added in terms of thickness, ~ 30 thousandths (of an inch) ? And could lowering the action by that amount have added a little more sweetness to the maple AJ, or was some sort of shim put in there?

I have no empirical data, just my ears and my logical intuition. It just seems to me that bone or hard material like Tusq/Micarta flush and tight on ebony or rosewood (hardwood) will transfer purer tones than that same bone on top of wire mesh on top of rosewood/ebony. It just makes logical sense to me. That's why luthiers try to make the saddle slot as flat and true as possible and the bottom of the saddle as flat and true to lay absolutely flat. Sandwich a piece of porous, mesh between them and it can't be good. It is like trying to hear a conversation through the wall with a glass. Put the glass against the wall and press the glass to your ear (bone of your skull) and you can hear vibrations. What would you hear if you put a sponge between the glass and the wall?

Plus, I hate the sound of USTs.

Archived