Gibson Brands Forums

NGD and some help identifying

SirNed

XthIZxSl.jpg

Just picked up a parlor guitar. From what I can tell, it is a Regal 1930s. What's driving me crazy is not knowing what the label said. It is mostly removed, but I can read a W. Kxxx (plus I can see a factory second stamp). Anyone know what this said?

cJufylql.jpg

I think your are right on in your analysis that it's a Regal Parlor guitar.

https://picclick.com/ANTIQUE-1930s-REGAL-PARLOR-6-STRING-GUITAR-ORIGINAL-123002267416.html

https://www.ebay.com/p/Vintage-1930s-Regal-Acoustic-Guitar-Vintage-Art-Deco-Stencil-Design/20010801710

I'm having no luck finding a clear example of that vintage sound hole sticker.

[crying]

Agree that the bridge, soundhole marquetry and stencil design all scream a low end Regal-made guitar. While any kind of manufacturers stamp is rare to non-existent in guitars with the Regal logo, the company was a major Chicago jobber and produced thousands of instruments for numerous distributors, mail order catalogs, large music store chains and such under all kinds of different monikers. You will run into stamps in some of these which I always figured were some kind of stock number or something.

I've had a few older instruments where the music store would add their own labels.

That makes sense. That's probably why I can't seem to find any info regarding the partial name on the label. The other examples of this guitar that I've seen have a Regal label or no label at all.

I wonder if it was to cover the factory second stamp?

Thanks Dave and Zomby for the info. Thanks Sparqy for the links to the other Regals.

I think I'll put some light silk and steel strings on it and see how it does.

Archived