Gibson Brands Forums

Found a new great artist...in the middle of nowhere

Lars68

A few days ago a friend asked me if I wanted to come along to a concert with Sam Outlaw in a small town about an hour from where I live. This is a very, very small place with about 1500 people. Sam Outlaw (which is his real name, by the way) was great, but the young lady, Molly Parden, who opened for him was fantastic. A new name for me. I can't believe these two acts played here in Sweden, in the middle of nowhere. Kudos to the bookers!

Here is a Molly playing her Gibson.

Lars

Thanks for sharing Lars.Just saw a piece on CBC (Canadian news service) that said that the number of folks between the ages of 18-24 listening to country music in the US has gone up by 54% from 2007 to 2015.I've got a feeling that guitar sales might not be tanking after all.There are so many younger artists out there now and we have yet to discover half of them.

A few days ago a friend asked me if I wanted to come along to a concert with Sam Outlaw in a small town about an hour from where I live. This is a very, very small place with about 1500 people. Sam Outlaw (which is his real name, by the way) was great, but the young lady, Molly Parden, who opened for him was fantastic. A new name for me. I can't believe these two acts played here in Sweden, in the middle of nowhere. Kudos to the bookers!

Here is a Molly playing her Gibson.

Lars

Thanks for sharing. Is there much of an appetite there for American roots/country/americana?

Thanks for sharing. Is there much of an appetite there for American roots/country/americana?

Yes, that type of music is very popular here. As far as comercial and chart success, Swedish acts have always been best know for pop music, all the way from Abba, to Roxette, Ace of Base, Max Martin, and Avicii, but beyond that there is a great interest for what you call Americana. There is very often a melancholy in this music that is very close to Swedish folk and roots music. I see the American roots music and Swedish folk music, as two distinct but very similar sides of the same coin. There are also a lot of Swedish acts combining the two influences, singing in either Swedish or English. Of the ones singing in English, my absolute favorite is Anna Ternheim, who tends to record either in Stockholm or Nashville. Here is a taste of what she sounds like with some Nashville musicians, among them Matt Sweeny and David Ferguson who recorded with Cash for thirty years.

There is so much great music to discover!

Lars

Yes, that type of music is very popular here. As far as comercial and chart success, Swedish acts have always been best know for pop music, all the way from Abba, to Roxette, Ace of Base, Max Martin, and Avicii, but beyond that there is a great interest for what you call Americana. There is very often a melancholy in this music that is very close to Swedish folk and roots music. I see the American roots music and Swedish folk music, as two distinct but very similar sides of the same coin. There are also a lot of Swedish acts combining the two influences, singing in either Swedish or English. Of the ones singing in English, my absolute favorite is Anna Ternheim, who tends to record either in Stockholm or Nashville. Here is a taste of what she sounds like with some Nashville musicians, among them Matt Sweeny and David Ferguson who recorded with Cash for thirty years.

There is so much great music to discover!

Lars

Interesting, thanks Lars.

Archived