Gibson Brands Forums

Fishman Infinity System...

Jim Wilson

So, a while back I asked about the Fishman Infinity pickup system. I think it was Jinder who commented on it, but said that the control head was entirely too heavy. Jinder, my friends, is a master of the understatement. I had such a unit installed and was pleased with the sound. However, that control head would not stay stuck to the underside of the guitar top. Their glue didn't work....double-sided tape didn't work....Gorilla Glue didn't work...and I was just damned if I was going to nail it on!

Last Wednesday, I played a gig with the control head pulled out of the sound hole and taped to the top. Then I had to play on Friday & Saturday, so I just cut the wire and took the control head off...mic'd the damn guitar.

Moral: When Jinder tells you that something is too heavy....believe him!

So, a while back I asked about the Fishman Infinity pickup system. I think it was Jinder who commented on it, but said that the control head was entirely too heavy. Jinder, my friends, is a master of the understatement. I had such a unit installed and was pleased with the sound. However, that control head would not stay stuck to the underside of the guitar top. Their glue didn't work....double-sided tape didn't work....Gorilla Glue didn't work...and I was just damned if I was going to nail it on!

Last Wednesday, I played a gig with the control head pulled out of the sound hole and taped to the top. Then I had to play on Friday & Saturday, so I just cut the wire and took the control head off...mic'd the damn guitar.

Moral: When Jinder tells you that something is too heavy....believe him!

Haha sorry about that Jim! If you take the endpin preamp out again, undo the flathead screw and pop the plastic shrouding off, you’ll see that the soundhole control unit is connected by a two pin bus connector. There are also two small dip switches on the PCB. If you pop the connector off and flip both dip switches, you can put it all back together and use it as-is without the soundhole controls.

All of my Matrix Infinity units are fitted with the soundhole controls removed, I find them less intrusive and better sounding without!

I think you're supposed to treat the under side of the top where the double sticky tape goes (I think some sanding with a fine grit) do you know if that was done?

I've got three gutiars w/infinity systems in them, one has been in for over 10 years. it has NEVER moved.

I think you're supposed to treat the under side of the top where the double sticky tape goes (I think some sanding with a fine grit) do you know if that was done?

I've got three gutiars w/infinity systems in them, one has been in for over 10 years. it has NEVER moved.

I wonder if they changed the adhesive patch on the MI control unit? I had early infinities in an L-00 and Epi EJ-200 and both were absolutely anchored in there-I treated both spots with some emery paper and a wipe with lighter fluid (Naptha) before installing all...the next ones I installed eight or so years later both were loose and came off almost effortlessly when I removed them. Could be a dodgy batch of the goopy stuff, or maybe a change in the formula...maybe I was just unlucky!

I wonder if they changed the adhesive patch on the MI control unit? I had early infinities in an L-00 and Epi EJ-200 and both were absolutely anchored in there-I treated both spots with some emery paper and a wipe with lighter fluid (Naptha) before installing all...the next ones I installed eight or so years later both were loose and came off almost effortlessly when I removed them. Could be a dodgy batch of the goopy stuff, or maybe a change in the formula...maybe I was just unlucky!

I was thinking the same Jinder. afaik, just some sort of run of the mill dbl sided tape that's used on the Inifinity. it's such a small control head, and pretty light, unlike the Baggs Anthem which had a very large control module. Event hat was pretty light bit it was 3x the size of the fishman, (and made some serious noise/rattles to boot.. I ripped that out before it drove me completely insane)

Archived