Gibson Brands Forums

Craigs List Gibson L-00?

zombywoof

I rarely peruse Craig's List. My wife, however, is addicted. Anyway this one popped up. No model or year is identified. Assuming it has not lost its finish, I would think it is a 1941-42 L-00. Strange posting though in that the owner does not list an asking price and states do not write him asking what he wants because he wants any interested buyer to simply make an offer. The only reference to condition is that it needs a bit of TLC and there are bridge issues (which is pretty obvious). I am half thinking of contacting him to see if we can set up a meet. It is a bit of a schlep from here but if I do it will be in a very public place.

Gibson.jpg

You’ll probably gauge it with his first reply

There are some naughty people out there but also some who just don’t understand classifieds and appear dodgy when they’re innocent

A few emails will put your mind at rest as to whether to entertain it or not

You didn’t just come up the loch in a bubble as they say here

Well, 'Woof, the listing has been taken down from Akron-Canton CL- did you get a chance to check out the guitar? The listing sounded like one of the dreaded sellers who didn't know exactly what he had, let alone anything about guitars, but had seen similar guitars with sky-high asking prices. The negotiations between the two of you could've been either a "thanks, but no thanks" from you, or an epic guitar battle royale.

Well, 'Woof, the listing has been taken down from Akron-Canton CL- did you get a chance to check out the guitar? The listing sounded like one of the dreaded sellers who didn't know exactly what he had, let alone anything about guitars, but had seen similar guitars with sky-high asking prices. The negotiations between the two of you could've been either a "thanks, but no thanks" from you, or an epic guitar battle royale.

No I never did contact the guy. I had too many thoughts along the lines of what you are talking about.

Yes, Jedz- I was thinkin' you'da been turned off by the seller as well. Imhop- a scraped off finish on the top. And the case shown was being described as "original" in the listing- does that look like a case from the '30's, . . . or the '50's/'60's ?

A couple of pics of my ex-'36 L-00's 82 year-old case (purple interior, diamond on case pocket door):

JGfZZ51.jpg?1

YWl1UuT.jpg?1

Archived