Gibson Brands Forums

Virtuoso and guitar love

uncle fester

Hi all - I just got a set of Virtuoso cleaner and polish (again, the only word that changes pronunciation when capitalized) and all I can say is WOW. I love my guitar, loved it before, wiped it down, kept it clean before - but this stuff is unbelievable. Cleans and shines, better like shiny. Makes it look like I did nothing before. Beware - it's also freakin slippery, i'm wearing a guitar strap even sitting down and playing. Shout out to the stuff though, it works.

Yes, Virtuoso and a Gibson lacquer finish are a perfect match. Just the thing for those who've gotten a new guitar and have reported it's neck being sticky. Definitely makes for a speedier neck, but I avoid putting it on the side of the guitar that rests on the pant leg.

I think it prudent to go easy with the cleaner depending on thickness of the finish. To me it seems a thinner version of rubbing compound, which is abrasive. I don't know that for sure, so take it with a grain of salt, but thought it was worth mentioning. I have had good results with both though.

Good stuff, no doubt. And the cleaner is an abrasive, good for cutting nasty stuff or working down a blemish, but indiscriminate use can give something less than stellar results. Not much for polishing the guitars myself. At the first restringing of a new instrument I give it a good once over with Virtuoso polish and that's it.....once and done. I don't mind the blood, sweat and tears that accumulate over the years.....grubby is good.

Yes, the cleaner is indeed an abrasive, and will cut into your finish if you rub too vigorously.

However, this can sometimes be a good thing. I've used it after nitro touch-up repairs to smooth out & blend the new lacquer into the effected area.

Overall, if used with care, it's a great product.

I was able to get rid of most of the burst... just a little more rubbing and I'll be all set (humor). I do appreciate the words of caution though, on both the cleaner and the polish.

Rgds. billroy

an orbital sander with like 120 gritt will take that pesky finish off in no time flat.

that you can get some florescent orange orange spray paint. That'd be cool!!!!

Archived