Gibson Brands Forums

K&K Pure Mini pickup...

Jim Wilson

I put one in my J100 Walnut after the LR Baggs Anthem started making knocking noises. Anyway, pretty easy,to install and if I could do it, anyone can. For a passive pickup it has a good, strong signal and you don’t have to worry about a battery going dead. If you’re in a semi-quiet coffee house, etc, you’ve likely got more volume than you’ll need. Of course, you can always use a DI box for more sound and options. Over all, glad i’ve got it. [thumbup]

I have K&Ks in my J35 and J45 and have used them in other guitars in the past. Really don't want to deal with anything else when it comes to pickups. Passive, lightweight, nearly invisible and good useable sound. They are subject to body noise, the clicks and thumps of the pick hand on the bridge and top, but it is easily controlled and can be used effectively as percussion in the right tune. They can have feedback problems at high volumes, particularly with an electric bass on-stage, but for solo acoustic work it's very nice. The tone is perhaps on the dark side a bit, seeming to tamp down brilliant highs, but that suits what I want to hear from an amplified acoustic.......ymmv. For my two cents, the K&K is among the best (if not the best) transducer-style pickup on the market.

I agree with Buc. I have the k&k in my D18 and J50, and gig with them often. The key to the best sound is to use a DI box with matching impedance. I don’t know what that means, only that it’s true. Use a K&k L.R., or a Fire Eye red eye....

Fantastic easy sound when using the box.

Oh one last thing, use a sound hole feedback buster if you play loud and in small venues.

I have them in my Hummingbird 12 and my ‘67 J45. Really great pickups, very natural. They benefit from a mid scoop and a well matched preamp with a 1 Meg impedance. Too high an impedance will make the bass flabby, too little and the pickup will sound a bit anaemic.

Mine sound great into my Boss Waza Craft TU-3W and even better into my Boss AD-10 pre.

I had a Martin D18 for a while which didn’t excite me as an acoustic instrument, but was stellar sounding plugged in with the K&K fitted.

I'd be interested to hear your experiences with the K&K Pure Mini guitar pickup, good or bad. Thanks.

Excellent tone reproduction with low to med volume...superb in small venues. I like the passive feature.Only caveat is beware of sloppy fingering and heavy strumming hand...it picks up top sounds(tapping, squeaking, sloppy string play)

I have them in my Hummingbird 12 and my ‘67 J45. Really great pickups, very natural. They benefit from a mid scoop and a well matched preamp with a 1 Meg impedance. Too high an impedance will make the bass flabby, too little and the pickup will sound a bit anaemic.

Mine sound great into my Boss Waza Craft TU-3W and even better into my Boss AD-10 pre.

I had a Martin D18 for a while which didn’t excite me as an acoustic instrument, but was stellar sounding plugged in with the K&K fitted.

Thanks, Jinder. I'm thinking I'll go with the K&K preamp.

Archived