Gibson Brands Forums

Kopp Bird

MorrisrownSal

hey 62burst.... I saw this online and I thought of your bird quest... with a dark burst.

Interesting!

https://www.acousticmusicworks.com/listing/kevin-kopp-the-bird-short-scale-dreadnought-sitka-mahogany-tobacco-sunburst-video/12994847

Beautiful guitar, although I was shocked by the quick decay it exhibited in the video demo...very, very short ring to the chords. Useful for some applications of course!

At first I, too, was shocked, but after listening for a moment, there was also this strange puzzle to the sound in that demo- yes, quick decay, [edit] but in there is still some nice sustain, sustain hiding behind mids that were off the chart (although the description says somewhat scooped(?))- someone looking for a dry J-45 would love to find a guitar emitting such a sound. Kind of makes one think about what the ideal Hummingbird would sound like. Definitely would like a sound that has a hint of that J-45 DNA, but a fuller, rounder sound when chorded.

Kevin K might not have stolen Gibson's secret recipe for the quintessential Gibson sunburst(is this a hand-rubbed varnish, a la Collings?), but for someone looking for that unique flavor, his creation could certainly satisfy. Still keeping an eye out for a maple Bird, but good of you to point this one out.

8jS56MJ.png?1

Edit- photo side-by-side added only to view slight difference in shape; Mr K's guitar has softer shoulders, tighter waist(?), flipped bridge. Slightly longer (1/8") scale length. The Gibson shown might not have the ideal burst, or top wood selection, though.

Though the scale is longer there's one fret less.

A tempting guitar I would like to at least try.

Don't think the test-pilot does it justice. He's plays like a beginner - too soft and 'normal' - and we need to hear someone with tone in the fingers

Would be good to know about the strings as well.

A few people/brands/luthiers out there in the big world imitates or are highly inspired by the Bird (not to mention other models).

Admit having a double feeling about it - to easy and somewhat thin. Could be nice to meet this Kopp though. Tune it down and explore it - open it up.

A tempting guitar I would like to at least try.

Don't think the test-pilot does it justice. He's plays like a beginner - too soft and 'normal' - and we need to hear someone with tone in the fingers

Would be good to know about the strings as well.

A few people/brands/luthiers out there in the big world imitates or are highly inspired by the Bird (not to mention other models).

Admit having a double feeling about it - to easy and somewhat thin. Could be nice to meet this Kopp though. Tune it down and explore it - open it up.

Wondering if Mr Kopp ever crafted Hummingbirds alongside Ren when they were both at Bozeman in the early days at G Acoustic.

Not keen, prefer a real one. Sorry, it's be honest Friday here in the UK.

That’s the way I felt when a forumite was talking about his Kopp K-35 a few years back. . . after hearing this Bird, the curiosity about that K-35 sparks.

Archived