Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Know What This Is?

TMC55

I'd never seen one of those either. I'm not surprised that Rabs has though.

Rabs may not have literally seen everything, but he still has many years to put that right ;)

Ha, well id like to say I knew exactly what it was at first but I didn't.. I did know straight away that it was Norlin era, that much was obvious. But in knowing that it didn't take me long to track down..

And is nothing really but a sad attestment to my single lifestyle :)

I helped a local fellow set one up back in the 1970s.

He wanted it to sound like my 73/74 SG Standard which was a powerhouse.

All he kept saying was, "Why doesn't it sound like yours?"

Does anyone have any idea what that red ES-335 style guitar is in the background in that video?

It looks similar to that wretched SG.

I helped a local fellow set one up back in the 1970s.

He wanted it to sound like my 73/74 SG Standard which was a powerhouse.

All he kept saying was, "Why doesn't it sound like yours?"

Does anyone have any idea what that red ES-335 style guitar is in the background in that video?

It looks similar to that wretched SG.

Gibson 1972 ES-320td :D

It was a strange time period for Gibson as they made some really good ones and some real dogs.

The ones I had back then (two 335s, a Lucille DeLuxe, 25th Anniversay Les Paul, SG Standard and a 78/55 Les Paul TV Special) were all really high quality as I recall.

Others, like the SG in the video, weren't quite up to par to put it politely.

For sale at an auction in Pennsylvania. The body, of course, resembles an SG. But I've never seen these pickups or controls. And the headstock and logo look unusual. Maybe an early model SG I've never seen before.

Whadya think?

LINk to GUITAR Listing: https://www.liveauct...electric-guitar

Have a SERIAL # ?

Looks like an early 70's Melody Maker, the Tuning Buttons are what prompts me to say, BUT ........it doesn't have the thinner boxier headstock as most MM's have though. The 'SG' 200 seems as good a suggestion as any I could further come up with........ without knowing the SERIAL #.

Archived