Gibson Brands Forums: 2019 Les Paul Tributes...Gibson, we have a problem - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2019 Les Paul Tributes...Gibson, we have a problem

#21 User is offline   Big Bill 

  • Stink Finger Willie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 5296
  • Joined: 15-May 09

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:15 PM

View PostWmachine, on 13 September 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:


"Does it make me look fat?"



Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson ES 339 Memphis
Gretsch 2655 Streamliner
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender 60s Baja Telecaster
Fender 12 String Acoustic
Fender Jazz Bass 1975 Reissue
Hofner Limited Edition Ed Sullivan Ignition Violin Bass
Seagull Excursion Grand Acoustic
0

#22 User is offline   merciful-evans 

  • upstanding member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 3558
  • Joined: 28-May 15
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:24 PM

View PostWmachine, on 13 September 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

"Does it make me look fat?"


All my guitars make me look fat :(

The search goes on...
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
*
my band BLOWN OUT
0

#23 User is offline   Derald 

  • Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 34
  • Joined: 17-September 17

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:02 PM

I know the 2017 and 2018 Tributes have proper inlays and because they’re being discounted you can buy one cheaper. I think the dots look good on lower end models. I also like the maple neck as it adds some brightness and stability to the neck. I’m happy Gibson is making all kinds of guitars over the years so I can choose exactly what features I want without having to get a Custom Shop Made to Order model.
0

#24 User is offline   Larsongs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 409
  • Joined: 16-July 14

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:09 PM

I too like the Trapezoids. Like my Gibson LP Std. Plus (9 1/2 lbs.) & my Gibson Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul with Bigsby (6 1/2 lbs.) both are great Guitars. The weight relief doesn't bother me at all. I play the lighter ES LP more.

My Gibson LP Jr Special P90's (8 lbs.) has Dots & on that Guitar they look right..

Gibson offers a lot of choices for LP's.. Seems like there should be one for everybody... Now if they would only make a 3 Pickup Traditional Sunburst Frirebird with Maestro & all Gold Hardware like the one Brian Jones played. I'd be happy to buy one & round out my Gibson Collection....
0

#25 User is offline   Pinch 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1567
  • Joined: 15-January 15

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:13 AM

What type of weight relief is used for the 2019s?
0

#26 User is offline   MichaelT 

  • Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1102
  • Joined: 22-February 17
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:29 AM

View PostPinch, on 14 September 2018 - 05:13 AM, said:

What type of weight relief is used for the 2019s?


I'm pretty sure it's 9 hole, which is what my 2017 Tribute has in it. And, even at that, it's still 9 pounds. I agree that a "budget guitar" should be under $1000.00, even if a Gibson. I would think that since they're making the necks, fretboards and trapezoid fret markers anyway, it wouldn't be that much more of an expense. But, I guess if it sells or doesn't sell, they'll rethink things next year, or not. My Tribute is on the right and it plays every bit as well as the other three and sounds just as good. In fact, it's even louder and better sounding when not plugged into an amp than the other three.

The things that made my Tribute what it was in 2017 was what made me buy it. The things on the 2019 Tribute are what would make me not buy it. Not that it matters much in the larger scheme of things.

Posted Image
0

#27 User is offline   pippy 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 13656
  • Joined: 21-July 08
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:35 AM

View PostRabs, on 13 September 2018 - 12:21 PM, said:

...Just don't ever mention nibs...

Did someone mention NIBS???????

Posted Image



Pip.

0

#28 User is offline   MichaelT 

  • Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1102
  • Joined: 22-February 17
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:44 AM

View Postpippy, on 14 September 2018 - 06:35 AM, said:

Did someone mention NIBS???????

Posted Image

Pip.



Nibs, U2, and trolls all in one thread. So, in my post above ^ pickguards on or off? [flapper]
1

#29 User is offline   Pinch 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1567
  • Joined: 15-January 15

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:58 AM

 MichaelT, on 14 September 2018 - 06:29 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure it's 9 hole, which is what my 2017 Tribute has in it. And, even at that, it's still 9 pounds. I agree that a "budget guitar" should be under $1000.00, even if a Gibson. I would think that since they're making the necks, fretboards and trapezoid fret markers anyway, it wouldn't be that much more of an expense. But, I guess if it sells or doesn't sell, they'll rethink things next year, or not. My Tribute is on the right and it plays every bit as well as the other three and sounds just as good. In fact, it's even louder and better sounding when not plugged into an amp than the other three.

The things that made my Tribute what it was in 2017 was what made me buy it. The things on the 2019 Tribute are what would make me not buy it. Not that it matters much in the larger scheme of things.

Posted Image


Ah! Of course. More extensive weight relief would up the price.

Everything else in your post, I agree as usual. The minds of Flying V and Tribute players seem to think alike :)

Yeah, I love my 2017 Tribute too. It's excellent.
0

#30 User is offline   BenderOfStrings 

  • Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: 07-September 18

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:12 AM

View PostMichaelT, on 14 September 2018 - 06:29 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure it's 9 hole, which is what my 2017 Tribute has in it. And, even at that, it's still 9 pounds. I agree that a "budget guitar" should be under $1000.00, even if a Gibson. I would think that since they're making the necks, fretboards and trapezoid fret markers anyway, it wouldn't be that much more of an expense. But, I guess if it sells or doesn't sell, they'll rethink things next year, or not. My Tribute is on the right and it plays every bit as well as the other three and sounds just as good. In fact, it's even louder and better sounding when not plugged into an amp than the other three.

The things that made my Tribute what it was in 2017 was what made me buy it. The things on the 2019 Tribute are what would make me not buy it. Not that it matters much in the larger scheme of things.

Posted Image


Damn, those are SEX! Thanks for posting!

It's funny but when I was a youngster I didn't like the look of the gold tops at all. However now I think they look killer!

I just think sometimes Gibson tinkers way too much with their lineup. With the 2018 Tributes, they had a winning formula! Like I said in a previous post, Gibson struck the absolute best balance between quality and affordability. All they really needed to do with the 2019 models was offer it in more finishes. It's almost as if their motto is "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."

Also, this is off topic but why did Gibson decide to stop going to NAMM?

This post has been edited by BenderOfStrings: 14 September 2018 - 07:13 AM

0

#31 User is offline   Pinch 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1567
  • Joined: 15-January 15

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:19 AM

View PostBenderOfStrings, on 14 September 2018 - 07:12 AM, said:


Also, this is off topic but why did Gibson decide to stop going to NAMM?


Couldn't afford the bus tickets.

They do however plan to rectify the situation until next year by making millions off the 2019 Flying Umlaut model, where you get a neck and two dots for $7999.
3

#32 User is offline   MichaelT 

  • Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1102
  • Joined: 22-February 17
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:39 AM

My guitars, left to right:

2018 Classic - No weight relief - brute at 11 pounds, sounds killer, I feel it after a few hours of playing with the band.
2017 Standard - Ultra modern weight relief - I think 8.5 pounds or something like that. Sounds killer.
2018 Traditional - No weight relief - I think it's around 9 pounds - amazing sound.
2017 Tribute - 9 hole weight relief - 9 pounds, sounds killer unplugged or plugged in.

I don't think weight relief is as much an issue as people claim. I haven't noticed any major differences in sound or sustain other than the pickups in the guitars. The 9 hole weight relief Tribute with P90s sounds very similar to the non-weight relieved Classic with P90s. It could be that I'm almost 53 and stood for too many years in front of Marshall/Randall stacks. :)
1

#33 User is offline   pippy 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 13656
  • Joined: 21-July 08
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:36 AM

View PostMichaelT, on 14 September 2018 - 07:39 AM, said:

I don't think weight relief is as much an issue as people claim.......It could be that I'm almost 53 and stood for too many years in front of Marshall/Randall stacks....

Nibs, Trolls, U2, P'G on/off and now Weight-relief? We really ARE going for the Grand Slam......Posted Image......

As (probably) most of us here know by now and as been discussed pretty much ad nauseam the practice of Weight-Relief was introduced to the Les Paul range in late 1982 and guess what? NO-ONE COULD TELL THE DIFFERENCE. The 9-hole W/R guitars do not sound intrinsically different from solid-bodied instruments. As is now well known it wasn't until someone saw his LP going through an x-ray machine that the 9-hole method was even known to exist (outside of the Gibson plant / workforce). Furthermore from that date until the introduction of the 2013 Traditional EVERY USA-Line Les Paul was weight-relieved in some manner.

The Chambered guitars seem to be an exception to the 'They All Sound The Same' statement. The general consensus posted by those who have examples of both always seems to be that they are found to be slightly brighter and with a snappier response but with marginally less 'meat' to their tone, all else being equal, than either the solid-bodied or weight-relieved Lesters.

Having a preference for one style over any other is purely a matter of personal preference. Some don't like the concept of W/R; others prefer the easier-on-the-shoulder mass of the chambered guitars.
Personally I don't mind any of the styles as long as the guitar balances perfectly, sounds superb and doesn't give me a hernia. I've played a few chambered guitars which were far too light (IMO) to balance well but I put that down more to their having those nasty overweight Grover machines instead of slim-fit Klusons. Equally, though, I've also played several chambered guitars which have been fantastic. In fact one of the nicest-playing LPs I've ever tried was a bone-stock entry-level Studio Faded model.

Pip.

This post has been edited by pippy: 14 September 2018 - 08:39 AM

0

#34 User is offline   MichaelT 

  • Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1102
  • Joined: 22-February 17
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:26 AM

View Postpippy, on 14 September 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

Nibs, Trolls, U2, P'G on/off and now Weight-relief? We really ARE going for the Grand Slam......Posted Image......


Might as well have it all! We didn't mention truss rod covers or "poker chip" yet though. Oh, wait, I just did. Oh crap.
1

#35 User is offline   Pinch 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1567
  • Joined: 15-January 15

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:29 AM

View PostMichaelT, on 14 September 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

Might as well have it all! We didn't mention truss rod covers or "poker chip" yet though. Oh, wait, I just did. Oh crap.


:D
0

#36 User is offline   pippy 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 13656
  • Joined: 21-July 08
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:39 AM

This recent chat about W/R and Weight - and seeing Michael's quartet with their model names, dates and vital statistics had me checking up on my baby (Sonny Boy Williamson II; Arr. Mayall) more to refresh my memory than anything more important.

What the Hey; It's Friday and I haven't posted snaps of the herd for a while. Here they are (again) this time in weight order with their respective weights posted with them;

1995 '1960 Classic' - 8lb 14.5oz.
Posted Image

1995 1960 Re-Issue - 8lb 15oz.
Posted Image

1993 1959 Re-Issue - 9lb 2.5oz.
Posted Image

1991 '1960 Classic' - 9lb 3oz.
Posted Image

A variation of just four-and-a-half ounces between the lot of them.
Odd (perhaps) to see the Classics are both the heaviest and the lightest with the RI's in the middle.
Also the difference between the heavier pair - and also the ligher pair - is merely a-half-of-one-ounce in both instances.

Pip.
0

#37 User is offline   MichaelT 

  • Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1102
  • Joined: 22-February 17
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:42 AM

View Postpippy, on 14 September 2018 - 09:39 AM, said:


A variation of just four-and-a-half ounces between the lot of them.
Odd (perhaps) to see the Classics are both the heaviest and the lightest with the RI's in the middle.
Also the difference between the heavier pair - and also the ligher pair - is merely a-half-of-one-ounce in both instances.

Pip.


Beautiful guitars. I've seen them before and love seeing them again. Thanks for sharing!
0

#38 User is offline   Rabs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 12825
  • Joined: 15-January 12
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:22 PM

View Postpippy, on 14 September 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:


The Chambered guitars seem to be an exception to the 'They All Sound The Same' statement. The general consensus posted by those who have examples of both always seems to be that they are found to be slightly brighter and with a snappier response but with marginally less 'meat' to their tone, all else being equal, than either the solid-bodied or weight-relieved Lesters.


Pip.

Yes... I have two chambered guitars.. One is the 2010 Standard which comes it at just over 9lbs and to me is THE perfect weight it still feels substantial but not heavy. The 60s tribute comes in at more like 7.4lbs but then I do think they are a bit thinner than a Standard..

Both however sound amazing and I actually like the light weight of the tribute.. I think the dark p90s on the tribute help the sound though, I have a feeling if it had hummers it would be overly bright.

I made this vid a while back as I was interested to see if I could hear much difference between the guitars.. I did this recording straight in to my digital 4 track here too so theres no amp, just all guitar.

To my ears the most noticeable difference is the bridge pickup on the Classic that's clearly louder than the others (which isn't really surprising with the ceramic pickups). Apart from that they mostly just sound like Gibsons :D

This post has been edited by Rabs: 14 September 2018 - 01:23 PM

"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix
0

#39 User is offline   pippy 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 13656
  • Joined: 21-July 08
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:59 PM

View PostMichaelT, on 14 September 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

Beautiful guitars. I've seen them before and love seeing them again. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the kind words and the forbearance in my indulgence for posting the same hoary old snaps yet again.
It was looking closely at your own clutch of Lesters and their individual specs which really drew me in to this post.

I particularly love your Gold Tops.
I've long hankered after a '56 style LP mainly because I don't have a P-90 guitar and much as I love the original - and unplayable - '52 GTs the '56 model had the most practical "user" specs. It was also (not that it matters to many) the version played by Danny Kirwan who must be one of my absolute favourite guitarists of all-time. Sublime phrasing. Your 2018 Classic is a Damn-Near-Perfect recreation and an affordable option to an R6 but 11lbs is, quite frankly, unattractive. Your 2017 Tribute would also be Damn-Near-Perfect as an alternative to a playable 1952 Re-Issue if the post-holes for the bridge and stop-tail could be disguised...

However I must emphasise that IMO neither of your instruments are lacking in any regard whatsoever and I heartily congratulate you on your GT pair. Gorgeous creatures both.

Posted Image

View PostRabs, on 14 September 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

Yes... I have two chambered guitars.. One is the 2010 Standard which comes it at just over 9lbs and to me is THE perfect weight it still feels substantial but not heavy. The 60s tribute comes in at more like 7.4lbs but then I do think they are a bit thinner than a Standard......Both however sound amazing and I actually like the light weight of the tribute.. I think the dark p90s on the tribute help the sound though, I have a feeling if it had hummers it would be overly bright.
I made this vid a while back as I was interested to see if I could hear much difference between the guitars.. I did this recording straight in to my digital 4 track here too so theres no amp, just all guitar.
To my ears the most noticeable difference is the bridge pickup on the Classic that's clearly louder than the others (which isn't really surprising with the ceramic pickups). Apart from that they mostly just sound like Gibsons :D

I hadn't seen that comparison set before, Rabs, and found it very interesting indeed.

I've only listened to the clip on my crappy PC's speakers but my initial impressions were firstly how much more focused / less wide ranging was the sound of the 2010 Standard compared with the other guitars; secondly how different the Classic sounded in comparison to the rest.
I really MUST listen to them all several times through 'phones and take notes as I go along.
Thanks for posting!

Posted Image

Pip.

This post has been edited by pippy: 14 September 2018 - 04:03 PM

0

#40 User is offline   Rabs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 12825
  • Joined: 15-January 12
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:01 PM

View Postpippy, on 14 September 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:



I hadn't seen that comparison set before, Rabs, and found it very interesting indeed.

I've only listened to the clip on my crappy PC's speakers but my initial impressions were firstly how much more focused / less wide ranging was the sound of the 2010 Standard compared with the other guitars; secondly how different the Classic sounded in comparison to the rest.
I really MUST listen to them all several times through 'phones and take notes as I go along.
Thanks for posting!

Posted Image

Pip.

Yeah it is interesting.. And im not saying in any way by my lackadaisical statements that there are no differences between them, rather that to me while I do hear some differences, they all sound like what I think a Les Paul should sound like :)

Mostly I think its down to the pickups.. They are all stock so two different sets of P90s, the ceramic twins and the 2010 Standard has Burstbucker Pros which have alnico V magnets in them.. And since we are at it has what they call an Enlarged Neck Tenon ( http://www.gibson.co...d/Features.aspx ).. Its why I love them all, they each bring something just slightly different yet are all Les Paul enough to keep me happy.

Ohh and by the way, if anyone notices my inconsistency of calling my Standard a 2008 or 2010.. Theres a good reason for that.. If you remember (and you probably will) a 2010 Standard was one of their robot guitars... What I actually have is a 2008 Standard spec'd guitar made in 2010.. What I was told was that these had been on a back order or something and Gibson were still making them in 2010 which I know as I have one :) So when I made that video I was calling it a 2008.. Now to avoid confusion in my head of when it was made I call it a 2010 Standard. So there :)

(edit)
I was just reading about what the enlarged neck tenon is. Interesting

New Enlarged Neck Tenon
The 2008 Les Paul Standard sports a revolutionary enlarged neck tenon designed by Gibson’s team of pioneering engineers. The expanded neck tenon features an innovative interlocking joint that allows the neck to be dropped into the body from the guitar’s top side, as opposed to sliding the neck in from the rim. When the glue is added, a solid unyielding bond is created that maximizes the wood to wood contact between the neck and the body, offering increased stability and superb transfer of vibration for enhanced tone, improved sustain, and superior resonance. It is also the largest neck tenon in the history of the Les Paul. :o

Which would look something like this
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Rabs: 14 September 2018 - 08:13 PM

"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix
0

Share this topic:


  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users