Gibson Brands Forums

Used LP Custom white

Lord Summerisle

I have no reason to doubt it, but I remember the threads here a while back about how counterfeit LP Customs are common.

Does this one look to be real deal? My linkhttps://charlottesville.craigslist.org/msg/d/epiphone-les-paul-custom/6666075066.html

Thanks for any insights.

Johnny.

I have no reason to doubt it, but I remember the threads here a while back about how counterfeit LP Customs are common.

Does this one look to be real deal? My linkhttps://charlottesville.craigslist.org/msg/d/epiphone-les-paul-custom/6666075066.html

Thanks for any insights.

Johnny.

Johnny,

I would consider it very unlikely that somebody would take pains to counterfeit an Epiphone, and then sell it for $400.

Most counterfeiters will try and pass off a fake Gibson or Fender, and sell it for $1,200 or $2,000.

Not much profit in counterfeiting an Epiphone, Squier, or First Act.

:mellow:

Johnny,

I would consider it very unlikely that somebody would take pains to counterfeit an Epiphone, and then sell it for $400.

Most counterfeiters will try and pass off a fake Gibson or Fender, and sell it for $1,200 or $2,000.

I'd be inclined to agree, but then again WTF do I know?

The logic goes that an Epi LP Custom gets a lot less scrutiny by a less knowledgeable buyer, than is the case with a top of the line Gibby LP Custom. The profit margins in phony Epiphones are much smaller, but the fake guitars are much easier to pass off.

I do wonder if the fake Epiphone threads at this forum a few years back were a bit hysterical, but counterfeit Epis do, undoubtedly, show up on the used market.

With this one, though, the point is moot (for me). I want an Epi LP Custom, but I'm of the opinion such a beast ought to come in the "right" color for that guitar...Black!

Johnny,

Hard to believe but i've seen fake Epiphones trying to be sold for $500...its not that often you see it but believe me ppl do it

Archived