Gibson Brands Forums

Dollar Store

dhanners623

I may have already posted a version of this song some months ago, but I like this rewritten version much better and the J-35 seems to work well on it. The early version of the song concentrated too much on economics, and after going back to my hometown in East Central Illinois this summer, I decided the song needed to be rewritten to get like, you know, actual people in it. And some imagery.

That said, I should note the song is NOT about my hometown of Casey, IL, which is enjoying an economic resurgence because of tourism; it is home to (I'm not making this up) the Guinness-certified world's largest rocking chair, golf tee, wind chimes, knitting needles, crochet hooks, pitchfork, mailbox and, any day now, the World's Largest Teeter-Totter.

I may yet turn the third verse into a bridge, but I'm on the fence. Constructive comments/insights are welcome.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JY8LQJUZ2vQ

I remember listening to, and liking the previous version. It feels like this is a completely new melody, or? Either way, this one is very ”Springsteen-esque”, and I mean that in the very best sense possible.

Lars

Thanks. Yeah, it's a new melody. Not sure how sold I am on the new one, but at some point, you just have to declare something "done" and move on.

Lyrically, the song is about 75 percent new.

Very nicely done. I've not heard the previous version, but this is one of the better efforts I've heard for a song on this topic. I've written half a dozen tunes in similar fashion that never got past the note-book. Never could get one to deliver the message. I take that back. One morphed into a sort of killing floor blues style song, kind of like "Hard Times Killing Floor Blues" by Chris Thomas King as featured in a campfire scene in the movie, "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou". Strayed a long way off topic and genre.

Point is, songs can take a life form of their own, resulting in a while to write. I like what you've done. Very clever. I can't wait for the Sequel - "The Day the Dollar Store Left Town". [biggrin]

Most of the people around here LOVE the Dollar type stores because it saves them a 20 (or more) mile trip to a larger town to get everyday items at a decent price.

They're huge in Rural areas.

They're big where I came from, too. In a way, you can't blame folks for shopping there; times are hard and if you're trying to stretch a dollar, their prices are attractive. But their profits go to a corporate HQ somewhere and don't stay in the community.

And, like Walmart, when they come to town, they want/demand tax breaks: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/aug/13/dollar-general-walmart-buhler-haven-kansas

Archived