Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting Trade Possibility

zombywoof

I have always preferred working out trades than selling something. I always figured if I sold a guitar I would just plow the money back into another one. This trade possibility popped up almost two months ago but is still alive. I have been offered a 1920s Martin Southern CA Music Co. 0-18K for my Gibson CF-100E. Both are worth about the same so it would be a straight out trade. Based on my somewhat limited experience with these little Koa Martins I found them to be fantastic feeling and sounding little fingerpickers. This one even comes with its original hardshell Geib case. The owner who is an administrator at the UMGF wants to go by their buy & sell policy of a 72 hour approval period which would give either of us a chance to back out of the deal with no questions asked. Good policy that. But here is the thing - the elephant in the room so to speak. In over 50 years I have never traded a Gibson for anything other than another Gibson. Not saying it is reasonable but this thing that is stuck in my head is keeping me from making any kind of a decision. Hence I have been putting it off. Just a strange little phobia.

I have always preferred working out trades than selling something. I always figured if I sold a guitar I would just plow the money back into another one. This trade possibility popped up almost two months ago but is still alive. I have been offered a 1920s Martin Southern CA Music Co. 0-18K for my Gibson CF-100E. Both are worth about the same so it would be a straight out trade. Based on my somewhat limited experience with these little Koa Martins I found them to be fantastic feeling and sounding little fingerpickers. This one even comes with its original hardshell Geib case. The owner who is an administrator at the UMGF wants to go by their buy & sell policy of a 72 hour approval period which would give either of us a chance to back out of the deal with no questions asked. Good policy that. But here is the thing - the elephant in the room so to speak. In over 50 years I have never traded a Gibson for anything other than another Gibson. Not saying it is reasonable but this thing that is stuck in my head is keeping me from making any kind of a decision. Hence I have been putting it off. Just a strange little phobia.

If you like the way the guitar sounds, I wouldn't worry much about it not being a Gibson. Just make sure you are comfortable with whatever terms the other guy is proposing regarding an "approval period" and the like. Not saying there's anything wrong with what he's proposing, Im just saying make sure it's mutually agreed upon, and once you agree upon any particular terms, I'd put it in writing and have both parties sign a copy.

We have both -- sort of. Ours is a 1950 CF-100 -- we are not really electric people. I would make that trade in a minute -- the 0-18K (in good shape) is IMO a lot more guitar than the CF-100. This is more a statement of comparing eras than brands.

Best,

-Tom

We have both -- sort of. Ours is a 1950 CF-100 -- we are not really electric people. I would make that trade in a minute -- the 0-18K (in good shape) is IMO a lot more guitar than the CF-100. This is more a statement of comparing eras than brands.

Best,

-Tom

Hate to say it but this is just what I was hoping to hear.

Will it help if I mention a change of thinking to 'Units', ZW?

These days, I tend to think of the unit they have that I want versus the unit I have that they want. [flapper]

So, both units are not rare, so to speak, but they are hard to find. You are tired of the CF I guess, and the other person is tired of the 0-18K. Try it and see...both of you, obviously.

So trading guitars is pretty rare to non existent here in my country, but a few major guitars are in my fleet now because of it....I swapped a few cheaper guitars for a 1993 Lowden S35 and a new Waterloo with Hiscox case for another higher end guitar that I had trouble selling.

So I am extremely happy with both and I am not thinking about the ones that are gone...at all - playing the bag out of the newer ones! So I swapped some units for other units....and the Guitar Fund is still intact! And some nervy little girls in the back room behaving themselves...in case, so to speak.

I have never played a 0-18K but I do own a 44 0-17 which has tone, tone, tone but is a pretty small guitar that doesn't sit on my (fat?) lap as nicely as the LG3 (same size as the CF?).... 00 Gibson size.

BluesKing777.

Archived