Gibson Brands Forums

Question about my Les Paul Classic

rosetree

I figure if somebody can tell me more about my guitar, it would be someone in this forum.

A number of years ago I bought my Gibson Les Paul Classic in a local used guitar shop (now closed).

It was one of the only LPs they had that I could afford.

I haven't played it much but I opened the case the other day and started reading bout this particular model.

Some questions.

The serial number is 1 3074

There is a space between the 1 and the other four numbers.

Does the serial number mean 1991 or 2001?

I searched it and it said it could be either but i keep reading that 01 means 2001 and this means 1991.

question 2

I see that Les Paul Classics generally come with uncovered pickups. Does this automatically mean the previous owner changed out the pickups or did some come from the factory like this.

I could take it to a tech to check out -- and I likely will some day but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has answers for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I figure if somebody can tell me more about my guitar, it would be someone in this forum.

A number of years ago I bought my Gibson Les Paul Classic in a local used guitar shop (now closed).

It was one of the only LPs they had that I could afford.

I haven't played it much but I opened the case the other day and started reading bout this particular model.

Some questions.

The serial number is 1 3074

There is a space between the 1 and the other four numbers.

Does the serial number mean 1991 or 2001?

I searched it and it said it could be either but i keep reading that 01 means 2001 and this means 1991.

question 2

I see that Les Paul Classics generally come with uncovered pickups. Does this automatically mean the previous owner changed out the pickups or did some come from the factory like this.

I could take it to a tech to check out -- and I likely will some day but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has answers for me.

I have a 2001 LP Classic and the serial number is 010648. Mine came with uncovered pickups, 500T and 488R. If yours is an early 90's it is regarded as the best years for these.

• 3 months later...

Hi again. I finally had a guitar tech pull out the pickups and here it is.. well the back of one of them anyway, It is not a PAF, it actually has a number as you can see. The guitar is from 1991. So does this mean these pickups predate the guitar? Or did somebody just swap out the '91 pickups with a different style of vintage style pickups? This is all kind of confusing. Thanks

Archived