Gibson Brands Forums

Dove Love

Brad2001

As the thread title suggests, I really dig my guitar. I've played since 1979 but the Dove is the first and very likely only fine guitar I will ever own. I like others no doubt, but have no desire to possess them as I have exactly what I want. Built in 97' bought new in 2000 for 1200$ cash plus an Ovation, Ibenez 12 string and a laminated Tama drum set (hated to give up the new Zildjians), I felt I got the better side of the deal. I have come to the Gibson site looking for Gibson lovers, not bashers. To hear it on some other sites, every other brand guitar is crafted in heaven by angels and polished with unicorn tears whereas Gibs, well you know. I am aware of whats' happening in the business world and what quality concerns there have been, but my guitar is heaven sent. I played every fine instrument in town twice before I bought, it took me a couple of years to save the money, I'm now a semi retired working class guy. Once I decided on maple Gibsons, I had to choose between a SJ-200 an Everly Bros J-180 and my Dove. The Dove took it based on sound, not sight. Some say it's too blingy, I would have bought it had it been unseen, polka dotted and triangular shaped, it sounded that good. I've never experienced GAS. Enough is as good as a feast IMO. I'm not going to find a better guitar than what I own. I hope that everyone can feel as good about their guitar I do. I do have a question about something I've read here regarding label coloring in Gibsons. Mine is orange. Can someone elaborate on that? The other question is regarding pricing. In 2000 when I purchased, I think list price was somewhere about 2500$ or so, now I see MSRP at 4500$. Allowing for the passing of years and inflations et al., have prices risen so dramatically or did I just get a great deal on a fine instrument? Be well.

Hey man... happy for you. Sounds like you have the perfect gal.

Me? I have GAS often. And I own two Martins and three Gibsons. The Gibsons have my heart for sure.

This is a great place to love Gibsons. You are in grand company. There are pros here, hacks, and everything in between... and we all know the thump of the slope, the honey of the Birds... and the blues boxes.

Figure out how to post inline pics here using a hosting site like Imgur... because we want so see your guitar.

Welcome to the forum! I have never had the opportunity to play a Dove, but based on what you say, it sounds like I really should try to find one.

Like Sal, I have both Martins and Gibsons, but the latter have the biggest piece of my heart. Also, I place myself firmly in the hack category, as far as playing skills. There is room for all here.

As for labels, at least today an orange label is for a limited edition or custom run guitar. A white label is for a standard production guitar. This is more of a designation for specification than it is some kind of quality stamp.

Lars

Edited by Lars68

Hi Brad, welcome! A good Dove is the equal of any acoustic guitar out there.

I’ve owned a couple, but have yet to find the jewel...which I suspect was a ‘60s reissue with a tune-o-matic that I played in Rudy’s in NYC back in 2006, but got away.

Enjoy your Dove in good health!

Broken in Doves are stunning guitars and your classic cultivated-wood-leaning-on-natural-ditto shows it so nothing can be misunderstood.

I have one like it and changed the tuners to golden waffle-back tulips last winter.

Be glad you got that one home - including the white tr-cover.

You have majestic acoustic maple there. Look at the top hue along those cherry sides, , , the greenery of the foliage round the calm pigeon. Gibson bliss !

1996 ~ jExcAD6.jpg

Thanks you all, I knew I'd like it here.:) Being inspired to look up why my Dove is orange tagged, I've found that (and I should have remembered this), it is called a "60's Dove" (even tho it was built in 1997) and differs in some small details from other "Doves". I feel inspired to play again as I've taken the last couple of years off to learn piano and am hoping that the theory I've learned will help me be a better guitar player. We shall see.

I still love my Dove a year on, but dont play it as much as before, sort of fell into the overall stable rotation. Main reason is probably that it feels quite heavy, compared to the other Gibsons in the stable. Dont know why that is, but its still my backup gigging guitar behind the Super Jumbo.

Here's a vid I did when i bought her a year ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY9wZM1RZmA&frags=pl%2Cwn

As the thread title suggests, I really dig my guitar. I've played since 1979 but the Dove is the first and very likely only fine guitar I will ever own. I like others no doubt, but have no desire to possess them as I have exactly what I want.

Bwahahaha - how many times have we heard that one expressed about a new guitar. Nothing wrong with it, it is as it should be. But I keep thinking get back to me in ten years. The thing is we as players tend to evolve and with that comes the possibility that what you want from a guitar and the way you approach may change. For decades I clung to 00 size Gibsons like they were a lifeline. Today I am contemplating getting rid of the last one. Does not mean the guitar has changed or that I may not go back to them. Common sense tells me to just put them up but I have too many guitars as it is already.

Edited by zombywoof

Bwahahaha - how many times have we heard that one expressed about a new guitar. Nothing wrong with it, it is as it should be. But I keep thinking get back to me in ten years. The thing is we as players tend to evolve and with that comes the possibility that what you want from a guitar and the way you approach may change. For decades I clung to 00 size Gibsons like they were a lifeline. Today I am contemplating getting rid of the last one. Does not mean the guitar has changed or that I may not go back to them. Common sense tells me to just put them up but I have too many guitars as it is already.

But I keep thinking get back to me in ten years.

Unless I misread the post? He’s had the Dove for 18 years.

But I keep thinking get back to me in ten years.

Unless I misread the post? He’s had the Dove for 18 years.

Apparently I am the one who misread it. Oops. Don't mind me as my brain is elsewhere. Why is it people want you to show up but want always seem to want you to play something you gave not played in 20 years. And why is it I wait until the night before to try and get it back into my head.

Edited by zombywoof

Yeah, after a layoff of a couple of years, I'm rusty. Three times I have rattled my pick out of my guitar having let go of it while doing the staccato strum intro to "Things we said today". I will always be a better singer than player and as I bought my Dove to accompany my singing, it works just the way I want. I'd like to be a better player and perhaps I may still improve, but I'm content.

• 2 years later...

Hello fellow Gibson Dove Custom lovers. I own two Gibsons but the Dove is my favorite for sure. I ordered it in 1973 while stationed in Darmstadt Germany as a soldier. It came with the hard case and the total cost was $199.00 dollars. I ordered it thru the PX. I had it completely refurbished by the person who built it in Kalamazoo Michigan Mr Jimmy Doyle and he died just a few months later. He was a great luthier and player and  is missed. I love my Dove Custom and will never part with it. It’s as pretty today as the day I got it new and still plays awesome. Well glad to meet you all.

3 hours ago, Mike Anderson said:

Hello fellow Gibson Dove Custom lovers. I own two Gibsons but the Dove is my favorite for sure. I ordered it in 1973 while stationed in Darmstadt Germany as a soldier. It came with the hard case and the total cost was $199.00 dollars. I ordered it thru the PX. I had it completely refurbished by the person who built it in Kalamazoo Michigan Mr Jimmy Doyle and he died just a few months later. He was a great luthier and player and  is missed. I love my Dove Custom and will never part with it. It’s as pretty today as the day I got it new and still plays awesome. Well glad to meet you all.

Hi ^ what an introduction. We can hardly hear about such a flier without seeing it too. And if you got it on tape, please roll it. . 

On 9/17/2018 at 6:51 PM, Brad2001 said:

As the thread title suggests, I really dig my guitar. I've played since 1979 but the Dove is the first and very likely only fine guitar I will ever own. I like others no doubt, but have no desire to possess them as I have exactly what I want. Built in 97' bought new in 2000 for 1200$ cash plus an Ovation, Ibenez 12 string and a laminated Tama drum set (hated to give up the new Zildjians), I felt I got the better side of the deal. I have come to the Gibson site looking for Gibson lovers, not bashers. To hear it on some other sites, every other brand guitar is crafted in heaven by angels and polished with unicorn tears whereas Gibs, well you know. I am aware of whats' happening in the business world and what quality concerns there have been, but my guitar is heaven sent. I played every fine instrument in town twice before I bought, it took me a couple of years to save the money, I'm now a semi retired working class guy. Once I decided on maple Gibsons, I had to choose between a SJ-200 an Everly Bros J-180 and my Dove. The Dove took it based on sound, not sight. Some say it's too blingy, I would have bought it had it been unseen, polka dotted and triangular shaped, it sounded that good. I've never experienced GAS. Enough is as good as a feast IMO. I'm not going to find a better guitar than what I own. I hope that everyone can feel as good about their guitar I do. I do have a question about something I've read here regarding label coloring in Gibsons. Mine is orange. Can someone elaborate on that? The other question is regarding pricing. In 2000 when I purchased, I think list price was somewhere about 2500$ or so, now I see MSRP at 4500$. Allowing for the passing of years and inflations et al., have prices risen so dramatically or did I just get a great deal on a fine instrument? Be well.

Brad, I've told this story  before...but this time it's just for you.   I worked in a music store back in the 60's.   We got in a Hummingbird...and whenever the store was empty, I'd get it out and play it....was my 'dream guitar', (I was playing a Fender Jag and Jazz bass in a Rock 'n Roll band at the time).    Years later, when I got married I told my new wife about my 'dream guitar'.   We were at a point in our lives when we were as broke as a young married couple ever gets....but....somehow she managed to scrimp and save enough to buy me my 'dream guitar'....problem was....she knew it was a Gibson....and she knew it was some kind of bird.... so what she bought me was a Gibson Dove.   To say it was a guitar that changed my life would be an understatement!   Well.... all these years later..... I have MANY Gibsons..... but my favorite is the one my beautiful bride bought me when we were first married.   I also have a 2003 Doves In Flight, (same guitar with more 'bling') and it is, without a doubt, the best sounding guitar in my herd!   Congrataz on your baby....You couldn't have done better.

Interesting to revisit this post, and see myself commenting three years ago that I had yet to find “the jewel” of Doves...shortly after this post I found my 1996 Dove, complete with ‘70s style bridge and playwear aplenty, and finally answered my Dove question for good. It just keeps giving me songs and records better than any other acoustic I have ever played. Heaven.