Gibson Brands Forums

J45 action...

Sheilsoft

Hi guys,

I’ve had a J45 standard for a couple of years, and kinda accepted that the string height appeared a good bit higher than my other acoustics. As I play in a finger picking style, it’s become noticeable that the J45 is less comfortably playable than some ‘lesser’ guitars in my little collection, so feel the time is right to give it a closer look, and bring out the better guitar within.

I’ve measured the low E at the 12th fret and it’s showing 2.5mm, whilst the the high E is 1.75mm. Are these the default heights from the factory?

I’m thinking they set them up a bit higher for strummers... certainly feels high and heavy for fingerpicking. I tend to always use D’ Adarrio 12s. Considering sanding the saddle on the low side down to at least 2, and a touch down on the high E?

Also, the low E sounds a bit dull, compared to the rest, so might be a nut clearance/angle issue with that.

Any thoughts?

I hear what you’re saying, but I live in the middle of nowhere in Andalucia, with no luthiers anywhere near...

Think I’ll have to take it, one small step at a time.

Interested to hear from any J45 owners who have made minor set up tweaks.

Rgds,

Howard

I've tweaked my old guitars from day 1, unless there is a wall I can't get over. It would be difficult to file your nut slot to get a good break angle without proper tools but often a string making too much contact with the nut material will dull your tone. Many here believe the bridge pins play a part but I'm not one of them, but if your ball ends aren't properly seated against the bridge plate and are pinched/wedged somewhere in between the pin and plate your top will not respond at optimum. You have a good easy test available in changing strings and/or brands just to see if that boldens up the bass. I would also look at the neck angle and consider moving the truss rod a little depending on what you see. Try 13's to see if it shakes the top out of it's 'rut'.

I'm in the middle of nowhere in upstate NY, but there is always a network of guitar freaks. Start by calling music shops and guitar teachers.

Thanks Jedzep, that’s kinda my thinking.

I have changed strings from the Gibson strings it came with (not my favourite), to my normal D’Adarrios, and the 6th string still doesn’t have the clarity of the rest. I’ve read that if the nut slot hasn’t been cut correctly, angling down towards the headstock, so that the string makes contact on the 0 fret edge of the nut, this can cause dullness.

Have ordered gauged nut files, and will ‘carefully’ check the slot clearance for any burs or width issues. I must say, the guitar came with one or two finish issues, one of which was the nut hadn’t been cut flush with the side of the neck, and the top corner was sharp against my finger playing F chord... OK now that I’ve sanded it down, but may point to insufficient attention to nut quality control.

Rgds,

Howard

Don't forget, lowering of the break angle at the saddle will slow the top too, so sanding at that end to get lower action often hurts the cause.

One thing that beast might benefit from is daily assertive strumming with a flat pick.

Archived