Gibson Brands Forums

Gold Plating?

Larsongs

I was distressed when I was searching for a Gibson BluesHawk because they were only produced with gold hardware. After I acquired my BluesHawk I was considering replacing it everything with nickel. Then I gave in to the realization that part of the "Classic Look" of Gibson's with gold hardware was to have the gold half rubbed off..

Larsongs,

I was debating whether to do the same thing as my Nighthawk has gold hardware that is worn to the point that the gold is nearly not there anymore. Now, replacement for the bridge and pickup rings that actually have a brand new looking gold finish is practically non-existent. The only realistic option is to re-plate as you have suggested. Me personally, I just live with the not-so-nice faded gold HW look - so long as the guitar functionally is not affected (which of course it is not by this faded HW). Re-plating would be something a jeweler or something of the like could handle. If it is an important guitar and you feel it is necessary, I'd say go for it. I for one wouldn't fault you for making the decision to do this. If you go this route, let us know who you went with and the round-about cost as well. These are things I find curious. Good luck!

I really like the look of a Firebird with Gold Hardware. It's like a '59 Cadillac!

I want to add a Gold Vibrola so I thought about buying new Gold Hardware, PIckups & keeping the Original Hardware & Pickups, well, original.. So that is an option..

Then I thought it may be less expensive to Gold Plate the Origianl Hardware & add the Gold Vibrola..

Anyone know a good Gold Plating Company???

Thanks,

Lars

All I did was do a web search for "gold plating near me". I found several auto places near me that perform this service, but prices were not discussed there. This must be governed by a case-by-case ordeal apparently. Have you performed a web search yet?

Yes. We've got one in my Area. Although I know nothing about them or the quality of work they do..

I thought maybe I might get a referral here....

Thanks

just buy gold plated hardware and put the current stuff aside...

I'm not sure how much gold-plating will cost but I'd strongly advise doing as Eracer Team says.

If you are intending to gold-plate your existing hardware have you thought seriously about just how much time and effort you will need to put into the project? I've had experience of having stuff chrome-plated for an old car and everything - and I mean everything - has to be in a simple one-piece state to be plated. This means, in your case, you will have to dismantle the machine heads, the Vibrola, the bridge etc...etc...to their component parts; dismantling and unsoldering the pickups; toggle-switch....and on and on and on it goes. When it comes back you will have to hope that the plating hasn't clogged-up screw threads, bushings, captive nuts...

Get replacement stuff is my advice.

Pip.

Gold electroplating is usually done over layers of copper and nickel to give it something to stick to. Chrome is usually stripped off, it can be gold plated, but doesn't stick as well as on nickel. It would be nice if there was an actual tough gold chrome finish.

I really haven't posted much of anything here but this topic interested me in that it got me to wondering if any of Gibson's stuff, or Epiphone for that matter, is actually plated in gold. Gold and silver plating is expensive, at least when I've had it done. Most watches that aren't extremely expensive are "Yellow" plated. I have a name brand Swiss watch that I paid well over $1000.00 for and it is "Yellow" plated. Other watches in that price range that are gold just don't mention at all what they are plated with. This leads me to belive that they really aren't plated with gold. Before I looked into having hardware plated in gold I would try to verify with Gibson that their stuff is actually gold or really just "Yellow."

I was gonna say don't, because I'm not really into gold hardware, but then I read that it's a Firebird, and they do look damn good with gold hardware! What color 'bird?

Vintage Sunburst... I also plan on adding a gold Maestro Vibrola...

I was hoping to find a Company that has done Guitars but no luck... I'm coming to the conclusion it may be better just to buy the Gold Tuners, Pups, Bridge, Vibrola & all the other Hardware. It would still end up costing less than a Used Firebird VII w/Gold Appt's. I don't care about not having a 3rd Pickup.. I like the Sound of the 2 Mini HB's...

Thanks

Archived